How Long Will It Take For My Tub To Get Hot?

Hex92

My tub is going to be delivered Wednesday morning. Approximately how long will it take for a 375 gallon tub to reach 100+ F? Will we be able to use it that night or have to wait till Thursday?

I found the answer to a similar question myself on Yahoo Answers.

Assuming the original info was correct I made it specific to my tub.....

6000 watt heater provides 20,400 BTU/hr

1 BTU will heat a pound of water 1 degree F in 1 hour.

A gallon of water is 8.33 pounds.

I will have 3124 lbs of water

SO I need 3124 BTUs/hr to raise the temp 1 degree/ hr

So it will take 9 minutes for every 1 degree.

So best case scenario it will take 7.5 hours to raise the temp from 55-104.

It is supposed to be 44 and windy on Wednesday. So I'm guessing 9 hours.

Took about six hours for mine to heat up. I don't know if it helped or hurt, but I put them pump on high and closed the air vents. I think the pump itself generates a lot of heat and helps to heat it faster.

Also, don't be tempted to peak. Opening the cover multiple times can only slow it down. I had mine hooked up by 4:30 PM the day I got it and we were soaking by 11:30 at 104. It was a bit warmer here when I got mine, about 65 for the high that day.

One time when my wife and I rented a cabin in the mountains, we got there about 4:00 PM and the hot tub was filthy. I drained it and refilled it by 6:00 PM and then started every pot the cabin had boiling water on the stove and carrying the 200 degree water out to the tub. I don't recommend it, but we had hot water in about two hours that way :)

They are supposed to be at the house 9am Wednesday morning. It is a straight shot to bring the tub into the back yard and onto the deck - knee high. So I would assume that it can't take more than three hours to unpack, move, level, hook up the power, and fill the tub.....

So we shouldn't have to resort to your boiling water method. ;)

We won't peek inside until its had at least 8 hours of heating time.

Took about six hours for mine to heat up. I don't know if it helped or hurt, but I put them pump on high and closed the air vents. I think the pump itself generates a lot of heat and helps to heat it faster.

Also, don't be tempted to peak. Opening the cover multiple times can only slow it down. I had mine hooked up by 4:30 PM the day I got it and we were soaking by 11:30 at 104. It was a bit warmer here when I got mine, about 65 for the high that day.

One time when my wife and I rented a cabin in the mountains, we got there about 4:00 PM and the hot tub was filthy. I drained it and refilled it by 6:00 PM and then started every pot the cabin had boiling water on the stove and carrying the 200 degree water out to the tub. I don't recommend it, but we had hot water in about two hours that way :)

Bad idea adding water that hot, lucky you did not damage the acrylic!

My tub is going to be delivered Wednesday morning. Approximately how long will it take for a 375 gallon tub to reach 100+ F? Will we be able to use it that night or have to wait till Thursday?

This is probably too late for you, since it's Wednesday evening now, but just in case: My spa is a bit smaller (Artesian Ruby, about 325 gallons), but it also has a smaller heater than yours (mine is 4kW). I've drained and refilled it a number of times and can say pretty definitely that it takes an hour to raise the water temp about 4 or 5 degrees, or a total of about 9 hours from a cold fill to a nice, relaxing 103 F.

Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

So how long did it take?

The power to the spa was turned on @ 10:30 am...and I have to say I was REALLY impressed with the guys who installed it. It took them 70 minutes from the time they pulled in my driveway till the time they pulled out!

The initial water temp was 47.

@ 9:30 pm the spa was 98. We jumped in the tub @ 10pm and it was 100 (set temp). So the heating rate was ~4.6/hour. The manual said it should heat between 3-5/hour so not bad for a day where the high was 49.