Oto Ta Test

IPvFletch

I just did my OTO test for TA (Total Alkalinity) and I added 3 #3 drops to get it to light yellow. The fourth did nothing more, so I guess the result is 3.

That means 3 x 10ppm = 30ppm according to the chart and instructions.

But does this mean my TA is LOW or HIGH???

I mean, do I have 30ppm and I need ~100ppm, so add 70ppm?!?!? OR does this mean add 30ppm to get to 100?!?!??!

I am thinking it means my TA is 30, so I guess most of you guys when testing TA add like 10 drops of #3, as you are all already at 100TA probably, right?? :) My pool is only 3 weeks old, so I figure my TA is low.

Here are the other results I got:

Residual Chlorine: 2.25

pH: 8.2, the instructions say to add 1C acid unless I need to fix my TA first

TA: 30ppm, whatever that actually means

I need a better test kit - this I know.. But I just got back from the store with BBB and Acid and I'm ready to do some chemistry now!!! MOUAHAH!! =D

Confused,

Kevin

I'm not familiar with an OTO based test for TA. The only OTO test I know of is for Total Chlorine. normally this is done by adding 5 drops of the yellow capped reagent to the water and comparing the shade of yellow to a scale. The only TA test I have ever used that is drop based involves a green indicator dye which turns red to indicate the end of the test.

Chris W

There are four OTO tests in my kit.

Anyways, this one turns blue to yellow, the other green to red, like you say.

I added 3 drops to get it to clea/light yellow, as per the instructions.

So 3 drops mean 10ppm per drop, or 30ppm, but I don't know if this means 30ppm is my TA meaning I'd need to add 70ppm to get it up to 100ppm, *OR* do I need to ADD 30ppm to get it to the ideal TA range?????

It sounds like a similar titration that either does not use a chlorine nuetralizer or one that uses a blue indicator like the ones more commonly found in the aquarium market. Either way, the test should be telling you how much carbonate hardness (alkalinity) in ppm, so based on your description it would be 30ppm which is quite low. Normally to adjust Alkalinity you would add baking soda. It's a lot cheaper at the grocery store than the pool store. If you have questions about how the test is reacting, you could test some tap water, than add a little baking soda to a cup of water and test it again to see the effect outside the tub.

Chris W

Quick Update:

I retested TA Total Alkalinity again today just to confirm it is really that low and it is, I got 30ppm again.

But this pool is ~3 weeks old, so I am not surprised it is that low. I guess the next question is should I leave it be and let it build up it's TA over some time or should I give it a boost??? :)

If so, the PoolCalculator told me to get from 30ppm to 100ppm, I need to add 139oz by weight or 111oz by volume of baking soda.

My first question is should I add 139oz of Baking Soda at once, or over a 3-4 day period, or what? And I dump it slowly it in front of a running jet at the deep end, right?

A 70ppm bump in TA is surely to increase my pH, so how do I figure out how much Acid I need to dump in along with it? Or should I just spend a few days getting my TA perfect, and THEN go and try to fix the new higher pH by adding Acid?

Or should I just do like one day of Baking Soda and then that night test Acid and do Acid, and then the next day same thing.. until I get to 139oz or my desired TA level????

BTW, I spoke to a friend last night who has had his pool for 3 years. They get algae quite frequently, esp. in summer and just use DiChlor and TriChlor and a lot of shock and some WSCP stuff which is an algaecide.. but he doesn't do any BBB and hated on me using liquid chlorine, he says it will be destroyed when the sun hits it but I told him his CYA wasn't high enough that is why... Who is smoking crack? Me with this silly BBB stuff or him? :)

I just feel like nobody I know does this BBB and many of them do have great success with their pool.. so this BBB is really odd to me... It would be good if you all could share your perspectives...

Thanks in advance,

Kevin