Floating Spa Blankets--worth The Price And Effort?

Nat

I decided to try a floating spa blanket. I bought the "premium" one from a vendor and it arrived a few days ago and I opened the box this weekend. The "premium" blanket is the 1/4 inch grey close cell foam (the less expensive other blanket type resembles bubble wrap). The blanket was manufactured by gluing two larger pieces together, using a one inch or so wide piece of the same foam, with two glued seams. It looked like the glue seam was supposed to be made by overlapping the foam by about 1/4 inch and gluing.

I think I bought the 7 X 7 foot size and it must be cut to fit. No instructions came with the blanket.

The blanket was rolled up in a brown unmarked cardboard shipping box. The blanket does not want to flaten out. It appears it may be permanently creased. In addition, it has separated where it was glued to gether, along one of the two seams, since the seam was not overlapped (just the corner of each piece of foam was glued and it was already coming apart before it arrived). The other seam appeas OK.

I plan to call the company I purchased it from to either ask for a refund, or a replacement. I am not sure which, at this point.

Questions: How does one go about cutting the blanket to fit, especially when the foam does not want to flatten out? The spa I have has rounded contours where the seats molded into it.

Also, how easy are these blankets to use?

It seems that this may be a lot more trouble than its worth.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Nat, being someone who works with rolled plans alot, try reverse rolling the blanket and letting it stay reverse rolled for a while. when you roll it out it should be flatter. personally, i have looked at the blankets and decided they were not worth the effort. there has been a lot of discussion on these before, try a search. Have not seen any factual studies on them and there cost savings. If when you pull your main cover off and no steam escapes with the blanket installed then it is probably doing some good, otherwise i really don't see the point. I guess they can help protect the cover from the chemicals thought. good luck.

They usually have to sit on the water for a week or so to flatten out. But I sure would not cut it if you are thinking about a return.

B)

I have one of the floating blankets. It came folded in a large box. Once I got it laid on the water, the creases flattened out. It might take a couple of days, but it should flatten. The heat from the water helps make it more pliable.

I haven't cut mine to fit yet. (It's been too dang cold, and I've been too busy to spend the time to cut it). I just have it folded over where I need to, or else I have it going up the sidewalls of the tub.

But it does make a difference. At least for me. I'm not sure how much energy I'm saving, but I am using less chemicals. I was able to leave my tub covered for nearly two weeks during a cold snap, and I still had a little residual chlorine when I opened the tub. No scum, so algae, just crystal clear water. So for that alone, it has been worth it for me.

Good luck with your blanket.

Questions: How does one go about cutting the blanket to fit, especially when the foam does not want to flatten out? The spa I have has rounded contours where the seats molded into it.

Also, how easy are these blankets to use?

It seems that this may be a lot more trouble than its worth.

Opinions?

Thanks.

We bought a 7' X 7' floating blanket that is 1/8 inch thick closed cell foam (thicker than the bubble wrap stuff but thinner than what you bought). I think it cost about $40 at Spa Depot. It cut with a pair of scissors and laid flat right away. We just fold it in half and then lay it on the cover when we use the spa. Our spa didn't come with much insulation so we decided to buy the blanket along with adding rigid foam insulation inside the cabinet. I do think it helps with maintaining the water temp. but, even if it didn't, it's got to be good for the cover. When we lift the cover, it's dry except for where the heat escapes around the edges of the blanket. I figure that has to prolong the life of the cover by preventing it from absorbing moisture.

Sandi

I use one as well, I think the cover helps retain heat myself but no facts to prove it, however being I use the tub lots at night by myself I can flip up half the hard cover then just pull up a small piece by the lounge seat and relax for 1/2 hr with jets before the heater needs to cycle versus 5-10 minutes without the cover. Mine is the version closer to 1/8" and it is white and cost 40 bucks.

I've got the 1/4" blanket also with a seam. Just use a scissors and cut so it lays flat on the water. Follow the contours of the shell. Rough cut a little larger and fine cut to be more exact. It will flatten out on the water in no time.

I've got the 1/4" blanket also with a seam. Just use a scissors and cut so it lays flat on the water. Follow the contours of the shell. Rough cut a little larger and fine cut to be more exact. It will flatten out on the water in no time.

I did not cut mine, I leave it over the sides of the tub and close the cover down on it so I do not need to worry about water getting on top. I just fold it open with the cover and it drapes over the coverlifter with the spa cover. It has made a big difference with the heat lose from the seem of the cover, and they also keep the chemicals and ozone from damaging the bottom of the cover, and if the cover is older and starting to soak up water, it helps this issue.