Infinity Spa 120v Circulating Pump Problem....

Joeybobby

Hi, I bought a spa off of Ebay(I know, I know, no need to flame me) and am wondering if anybody else paid extra for the 120v circulating pump... It was described on ebay as a pump that runs 24/7. I noticed that it wasn't working so I called the manufacturer and the guy I talked to told me to turn on the dip swich that activated it. I did so and it came on but then I lost the slow speed to my number 1 motor which circulates water while the tub heats.... When it called for heat the element came on but no motor to circulate it....... I had to switch it back and it heats fine now but the 120V motor doesnt come on. I called and talked to their "electrician" tech and he said it isnt supposed to run 24/7 and it would burn up...... WOW!!!! The descriptions says its supposed to and he says it isn't...

He said it is supposed to cycle when the main tub isnt running.... I still haven't heard it turn on... Was the 120V pump supposed to be piped so that it flows past the element? I'm thinking I'm being told something that isn't true... The control pad is made by Balboa that controls 3 pumps and LED lights. I have it set to ECN mode. Does anyone here know how this is supposed to work? Better yet is there any paperwork out there that tells how that keypad is supposed to work and how the cycles work? Thanks in advance for any replies...

It may be off in ECN mode. Press the mode switch it will display the ECN press the temp up and it should change to SLP. Press mode again and temp up and it will change to Std (Standard) then press the Light button to turn on the spa light, that selects what displays. If you flip your breaker off for filter cleaning it will reset to the default Ecn mode and you'll have to repeat

Mode -> Up arrow -> Mode -> Up arrow -> "Light" button selects.

That's in your manual BTW, but if you didn't get one you may likely be aboe to get one from the customer service/Support link on their web site (not Ebay, but manufacturer)

Hi Joey, I would email Balboa with info. on which controls you have and they should be able to help you with specifics. If you have a circulation pump, that should be the one running when the spa is heating. When you say no pump came on to circulate the water when the heat came on, you could have been mistaken. The circulation pump is small and quiet. Depending on which Balboa controls you have, it very well may not have come set to run 24/7. I have Balboa controls and a circulation pump on my spa. I can program it to run from zero hours to 24 hours, my choice. Regardless of how I have it programmed, it will come on when the spa calls for heat. I have to put my head up against the cabinet to hear it running. By flipping the dip switch, you stopped the low speed of pump 1 from running during heat cycles and switched the operation to the circulation pump. Balboa will be happy to send you operating instructions for your particular controls if you email them with the specifics. I had them do this for me in the past. Good Luck.

Hi Joey, I would email Balboa with info. on which controls you have and they should be able to help you with specifics. If you have a circulation pump, that should be the one running when the spa is heating. When you say no pump came on to circulate the water when the heat came on, you could have been mistaken. The circulation pump is small and quiet. Depending on which Balboa controls you have, it very well may not have come set to run 24/7. I have Balboa controls and a circulation pump on my spa. I can program it to run from zero hours to 24 hours, my choice. Regardless of how I have it programmed, it will come on when the spa calls for heat. I have to put my head up against the cabinet to hear it running. By flipping the dip switch, you stopped the low speed of pump 1 from running during heat cycles and switched the operation to the circulation pump. Balboa will be happy to send you operating instructions for your particular controls if you email them with the specifics. I had them do this for me in the past. Good Luck.

I'm actually in the middle of emailing them.. I was talking to the person that sold it to me and they said it is supposed to be running 24/7. I can see when the circulating motor runs because you can see the water flow and bubbles coming from the designated jet. I followed the water pipes from the motor and it doesn't even go through the heating element. Seems that it was piped wrong from the manufacturer and they were looking for an easy way out telling me that "it is supposed to come on once in a while so it doesn't burn up" hoping that I wouldn't notice..... Thanks for your reply!

Well, if the pipes don't go through the heater, I can't help there. But Balboa is a good place to start. I know the controls on my spa were recently changed. They used to be preset to run 24 hours, but too many people complained about their spa water overheating, especially in the summer months. There is always the possibility that the guy who sold it to you threw something on aftermarket to boost the price. Good Luck, I hope everything works out for you. Has he offered to take the spa back and replace it if there is a problem?

Well, if the pipes don't go through the heater, I can't help there. But Balboa is a good place to start. I know the controls on my spa were recently changed. They used to be preset to run 24 hours, but too many people complained about their spa water overheating, especially in the summer months. There is always the possibility that the guy who sold it to you threw something on aftermarket to boost the price. Good Luck, I hope everything works out for you. Has he offered to take the spa back and replace it if there is a problem?

I sent my email to Balboa and am awaiting their response... The people that I bought it from are working with me on this and the manufacturer just called. He still sticks to it coming on once in awhile..... I guess Balboa will be the ones to tell the tale. It just doesn't make sense to me to have the dip switch set to NON-CIRC instead of 24hr CIRC. You would think it would be telling it that there isn't a circulation motor..... Thanks again for your advice!

There is a difference between having a circulation pump and a 24 hour circulation pump. If your controls do not support a 24 hour circ pump, then it could be that your dip switch was in the right position in the first place. I had some confusion with the wording when I first got my spa also. Had to get it through my head that a circulation pump can be capable of running 24 hours a day without actually being a 24 hour circ pump. I almost messed with my dip switches as well, so I know where you are coming from. My circulation pump can be programmed by me to run 24 hours a day. If it was a "24 hour circulation pump" it would run 24 hours a day and you couldn't change this fact. Does that make sense? I wish I was at home so I could look at my dip switches. I think that mine were set the way yours were originally and it confused the heck out of me. I feel your pain cause it drove me nuts! In the end, my spa was delivered exactly as it should have been. Balboa set me straight that my controls did not support a 24 hour circ pump which is why the dip switch was not set to that position. The manufacturer confirmed that they made this change because customers did not like the fact that they couldn't adjust the time their circulation pump ran and were upset that there water was overheating.

I don't want to confuse you because you need information specific to your tub. My tub has a circ pump and it runs 24/7. It comes out of the heater outlet (has the collar to prevent you from blocking flow) and another hole under my spa light... that is obviously my ozonator as bubbles come out of there. I can feel the heated water coming out of the other. My understanding was it was a lower powered pump that continuously drew water through the filter... which it does.

I don't want to confuse you because you need information specific to your tub. My tub has a circ pump and it runs 24/7. It comes out of the heater outlet (has the collar to prevent you from blocking flow) and another hole under my spa light... that is obviously my ozonator as bubbles come out of there. I can feel the heated water coming out of the other. My understanding was it was a lower powered pump that continuously drew water through the filter... which it does.

Bo, you have a "24-hour circulation pump". I, being new to spas, assumed that all circulation pumps were "24-hour circulation pumps". Circulation pumps are lowered powered motors. Some controls run them automatically 24 hours a day, other controls require that you program them to the amount of time you want them to run. I feel better than I'm not the only one that has a hard time wrapping my head around the concept.

Tiny, I finally saw the light, bubbles.

I sent my email to Balboa and am awaiting their response... The people that I bought it from are working with me on this and the manufacturer just called. He still sticks to it coming on once in awhile..... I guess Balboa will be the ones to tell the tale. It just doesn't make sense to me to have the dip switch set to NON-CIRC instead of 24hr CIRC. You would think it would be telling it that there isn't a circulation motor..... Thanks again for your advice!

It's difficult to know exactly what they've done but it sounds like they're throwing things together. I have a few ideas of how this is set up but can't tell from here. I wonder what this circ pump is supposed to be doing for you.

Typically the circ pump is tied to the heater to circulate water through the heater and also draws that water through the filter. The idea is to get quiet water flow for heating and filtering without need for the main pump coming on low speed. Instead it seems like they just plumbed one in and it doesn't have much of a purpose since the heater is still tied into the main pump (I'm wondering if the filter is even tied to the circ pump). When you tell the controller you have a circ pump it probably wants to run it 24/7 and assumes any time it’s energizing the heater that the water is run through the heater by the circ pump and doesn't think the low speed of the pump needs to be on when the heater is energized. That is why they wanted you to change the dip switch back.

Could they really have just plumbed in a circ pump without tying it into anything, therefore rendering it totally useless? I'd ask the manufacturer if the circ pump is tied to the heater or filter. If neither the heater nor filter is tied to that circ pump they're just adding it for no purpose at all other than to charge more $ and you might as well just shut it down. If its tied to just the filter and the heater is tied to the low speed pump and it only disables the circ pump during heating but the circ comes back on for filtering when not heating that at least shows a function for the circ pump.

Hopefully Balboa can straighten this out for you.

It's difficult to know exactly what they've done but it sounds like they're throwing things together. I have a few ideas of how this is set up but can't tell from here. I wonder what this circ pump is supposed to be doing for you.

Typically the circ pump is tied to the heater to circulate water through the heater and also draws that water through the filter. The idea is to get quiet water flow for heating and filtering without need for the main pump coming on low speed. Instead it seems like they just plumbed one in and it doesn't have much of a purpose since the heater is still tied into the main pump (I'm wondering if the filter is even tied to the circ pump). When you tell the controller you have a circ pump it probably wants to run it 24/7 and assumes any time it’s energizing the heater that the water is run through the heater by the circ pump and doesn't think the low speed of the pump needs to be on when the heater is energized. That is why they wanted you to change the dip switch back.

Could they really have just plumbed in a circ pump without tying it into anything, therefore rendering it totally useless? I'd ask the manufacturer if the circ pump is tied to the heater or filter. If neither the heater nor filter is tied to that circ pump they're just adding it for no purpose at all other than to charge more $ and you might as well just shut it down. If its tied to just the filter and the heater is tied to the low speed pump and it only disables the circ pump during heating but the circ comes back on for filtering when not heating that at least shows a function for the circ pump.

I concur Dr. My manual says that if there's no circ pump then pump #1 comes on LOW at timed cycles for filtration/heat... especially noticeable on initial startup (just flipped breaker to ON) as the circ pump primes, and when no circ pump-> pump #1 comes on LOW to prime. I would have to assume the dip switch is for that option as my pump#1 also has no LOW setting, just HIGH... and of course as I said before I do have a circ pump, so when I first power ON spa, circ pump runs to prime (display reads Pr) and water only comes out of heater and ozonator holes and not any jets per se.

BTW I have a Down East Exeter with Balboa controls and there are online general resources listing Balboa codes that are easily g00gle-able (balboa error codes) ...but there are no error codes for an improperly plumbed spa. Insist on a hands on visit/repair and good luck. Please come back and tell us how that went. Other people may be able to help more if you get a negative response to your request for service. Keep in mind we can only guess at your true remote configuration/situation.

I concur Dr. My manual says that if there's no circ pump then pump #1 comes on LOW at timed cycles for filtration/heat... especially noticeable on initial startup (just flipped breaker to ON) as the circ pump primes, and when no circ pump-> pump #1 comes on LOW to prime. I would have to assume the dip switch is for that option as my pump#1 also has no LOW setting, just HIGH... and of course as I said before I do have a circ pump, so when I first power ON spa, circ pump runs to prime (display reads Pr) and water only comes out of heater and ozonator holes and not any jets per se.

BTW I have a Down East Exeter with Balboa controls and there are online general resources listing Balboa codes that are easily g00gle-able (balboa error codes) ...but there are no error codes for an improperly plumbed spa. Insist on a hands on visit/repair and good luck. Please come back and tell us how that went. Other people may be able to help more if you get a negative response to your request for service. Keep in mind we can only guess at your true remote configuration/situation.

Thanks for the replies! What you two are saying is exactly what I'm thinking is supposed to happen. Here is the latest from the manufacturer......

Tells me to leave the dip switch to the off position... I question why I should turn off a circulation pump when it is obvious that it should be turned on... He says it is used to move the water around better when the heating cycle kicks in and it should run when pump #1 runs at low speed during the filter cycle.... Ok so please tell me why you would want to run pump #1 normal when filtering and then have a low voltage(120v) pump filter though a filter right beside the pump #1 filter..... So in the end we determined that the circ pump will only run when pump #1 is in its filter cycle..... I told him that sounds pointless and he said it is a circulating pump and circulating is what it does so it moves the water around better making it easier on pump#1 and the heating...... I think pump 1 does a pretty good job moving the water around by itself since water comes out of a dozen jets.... Im thinking its plumbed in wrong and they just dont want to admit it. I have a useless pump on my hands and yes I may as well unhook it... I paid extra for this pump and I think Im going to go for a refund.. I think they think Im a schmuck!!

Thanks for the replies! What you two are saying is exactly what I'm thinking is supposed to happen. Here is the latest from the manufacturer......

Tells me to leave the dip switch to the off position... I question why I should turn off a circulation pump when it is obvious that it should be turned on... He says it is used to move the water around better when the heating cycle kicks in and it should run when pump #1 runs at low speed during the filter cycle.... Ok so please tell me why you would want to run pump #1 normal when filtering and then have a low voltage(120v) pump filter though a filter right beside the pump #1 filter..... So in the end we determined that the circ pump will only run when pump #1 is in its filter cycle..... I told him that sounds pointless and he said it is a circulating pump and circulating is what it does so it moves the water around better making it easier on pump#1 and the heating...... I think pump 1 does a pretty good job moving the water around by itself since water comes out of a dozen jets.... Im thinking its plumbed in wrong and they just dont want to admit it. I have a useless pump on my hands and yes I may as well unhook it... I paid extra for this pump and I think Im going to go for a refund.. I think they think Im a schmuck!!

That does sound really bizarre. Anyword yet from Balboa? Usually you either have a 2-speed pump running on low speed for filtering or your circulation pump. To have both sounds like overkill. It seems like it would increase the electrical costs of operating the spa. There are alot of experts on this site, could you take a picture of your equipment compartment? Maybe they could look at it and help you out.

That does sound really bizarre. Anyword yet from Balboa? Usually you either have a 2-speed pump running on low speed for filtering or your circulation pump. To have both sounds like overkill. It seems like it would increase the electrical costs of operating the spa. There are alot of experts on this site, could you take a picture of your equipment compartment? Maybe they could look at it and help you out.

No, Balboa hasn't got back to me yet.. I do have a picture of the panel diagram but Im not sure how to post it on here........

Im thinking its plumbed in wrong and they just dont want to admit it. I have a useless pump on my hands and yes I may as well unhook it... I paid extra for this pump and I think Im going to go for a refund.. I think they think Im a schmuck!!

Here's what I think. This spa was designed not to have a circ pump to begin with which is fine until they offered to add one a$ an option but never had a plan to have it perform any meaningful function as that requires a plumbing redesign. If it isn't tied directly to the heating and/or filtering system it is doing NOTHING for you.

You say its wrong and that they won't admit it but it isn't "wrong" in their eyes if they never had any intention to have it part of the functional plumbing system. It unfortunaetly seems to have performed exactly as they planned, an added option to increase the margin.

Spatech, is that something that the person he bought the spa from would have done? I know when I was spa shopping one dealer wanted to sell me a tub that did not have the options I wanted. They said they could just add them on at the store. When I shopped at a different dealer for the same brand, they said that you have to order the tub with those features. I ordered the tub the way I wanted it, I was leery of someone adding things on later. Also, is this something that could be changed for him now, or is he stuck with the way it's plumbed?

1-go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account

2-upload the pictures you want to post

3-once your pics are uploaded there are several codes underneath each picture, click on the IMG code

4-click copy of the code

5-click on reply to the topic your in on the forum and right click paste in the response.

6-click add reply and your done.

If you can show spatech an actual picture that you've taken of the plumbing inside your compartment, specifically around the heater, I'm sure he can help you out.

3-once your pics are uploaded there are several codes underneath each picture, click on the IMG code

4-click copy of the code

5-click on reply to the topic your in on the forum and right click paste in the response.

If you can show spatech an actual picture that you've taken of the plumbing inside your compartment, specifically around the heater, I'm sure he can help you out.

Ok, Ill try that! Thanks!

Im thinking its plumbed in wrong and they just dont want to admit it. I have a useless pump on my hands and yes I may as well unhook it... I paid extra for this pump and I think Im going to go for a refund.. I think they think Im a schmuck!!

Here's what I think. This spa was designed not to have a circ pump to begin with which is fine until they offered to add one a$ an option but never had a plan to have it perform any meaningful function as that requires a plumbing redesign. If it isn't tied directly to the heating and/or filtering system it is doing NOTHING for you.

You say its wrong and that they won't admit it but it isn't "wrong" in their eyes if they never had any intention to have it part of the functional plumbing system. It unfortunaetly seems to have performed exactly as they planned, an added option to increase the margin.

I think you hit it right on the button.. I was going to post a pic of the pipes but I think it would be more confusing than anything.... I do know the circ pump ties in with the second filter with pump #2(a T fitting) and then goes directly to its own jet. It doesn't even come close to flowing past the element. Pump 1 runs through the other filter. The sad thing is they say they custom build the hot tub and they still did it the wrong way(the right way in their eyes) That company needs an eye opener... What a waste of $300. The description of the pump says that it is a low voltage pump designed for 24hr circulation and that it filters the water 24/7. I'm not going to back off that easy, it is definitely false advertising......

4-click copy of the code

I'm a little late to this thread. I, too, purchased an Infinity Spa from ebay. I also purchased the optional 24-hour circulation pump.

Here's how mine works - hope this information is helpful.

The circulation pump runs 24/7 irrespective of what the other pumps are doing and irrespective of what the heater is doing.

Pump 1 has 2 speeds - low and high. It runs on low speed while filtering - which is currently set for 2 hours a day. It also runs on low speed when the heat turns on (which is when the spa is in standard mode and the temp of the water falls below the set point).

Pump 2 has 1 speed - high. It only turns on manually.

The circulation pump is plumbed as follows - a dedicated filter and basket are in-line into the intake of the pump. The discharge from the pump goes to a single-jet. The ozone unit is plumbed into the same pipe that goes to the single jet. The dedicated filter is right beside the filter that goes to Pump 1 (which is plumbed through the heater).

I have a Balboa SUV board as pictured on page 31 here..

HTH,

Ken

4-click copy of the code

I'm a little late to this thread. I, too, purchased an Infinity Spa from ebay. I also purchased the optional 24-hour circulation pump.

Here's how mine works - hope this information is helpful.

The circulation pump runs 24/7 irrespective of what the other pumps are doing and irrespective of what the heater is doing.

Pump 1 has 2 speeds - low and high. It runs on low speed while filtering - which is currently set for 2 hours a day. It also runs on low speed when the heat turns on (which is when the spa is in standard mode and the temp of the water falls below the set point).

Pump 2 has 1 speed - high. It only turns on manually.

The circulation pump is plumbed as follows - a dedicated filter and basket are in-line into the intake of the pump. The discharge from the pump goes to a single-jet. The ozone unit is plumbed into the same pipe that goes to the single jet. The dedicated filter is right beside the filter that goes to Pump 1 (which is plumbed through the heater).

I have a Balboa SUV board as pictured on page 31 here..

HTH,

Ken

Hmmm interesting.... Here is how mine works.

It is plumbed so it pulls water through filter 2, right beside the main filter. It shares a T fitting with pump 2(which has 1 speed even though I have to push the button twice to get it to go meaning that the pad is set up for a 2 speed pump on 2) It goes back to the circ motor and then discharges it directly out its own jet. It comes on only when pump 1 in in its filtering mode and shuts off when its done. When the unit calls for heat pump 1 starts in low speed and the circ pump doesnt come on at all. It seems it only comes on when its in its filtering mode and pump 1 comes on low speed. Seems useless to me. The ozone is plumbed on the discharge side of pump 1. So the outcome is a low voltage pump that filters beside a high voltage pump... Seems pointless to me. Oh ya, whenever a pump is turned on high speed the circ pump shuts off also when pump 2 comes on the circ pump shuts off and you can feel that designated jet sucking in water. Makes me wonder if the circ pump is pulling water through motor 2 as well as through the filter which would make it even more useless... Nothing runs when the unit is idle..... Seems like a screwed up system to me........

Hmmm interesting.... Here is how mine works.

It is plumbed so it pulls water through filter 2, right beside the main filter. It shares a T fitting with pump 2(which has 1 speed even though I have to push the button twice to get it to go meaning that the pad is set up for a 2 speed pump on 2) It goes back to the circ motor and then discharges it directly out its own jet. It comes on only when pump 1 in in its filtering mode and shuts off when its done. When the unit calls for heat pump 1 starts in low speed and the circ pump doesnt come on at all. It seems it only comes on when its in its filtering mode and pump 1 comes on low speed. Seems useless to me. The ozone is plumbed on the discharge side of pump 1. So the outcome is a low voltage pump that filters beside a high voltage pump... Seems pointless to me. Oh ya, whenever a pump is turned on high speed the circ pump shuts off also when pump 2 comes on the circ pump shuts off and you can feel that designated jet sucking in water. Makes me wonder if the circ pump is pulling water through motor 2 as well as through the filter which would make it even more useless... Nothing runs when the unit is idle..... Seems like a screwed up system to me........

I agree, if that's how they have it set up it seems like a pointless thing to add.

I think you hit it right on the button.. I was going to post a pic of the pipes but I think it would be more confusing than anything.... I do know the circ pump ties in with the second filter with pump #2(a T fitting) and then goes directly to its own jet. It doesn't even come close to flowing past the element. Pump 1 runs through the other filter. The sad thing is they say they custom build the hot tub and they still did it the wrong way(the right way in their eyes) That company needs an eye opener... What a waste of $300. The description of the pump says that it is a low voltage pump designed for 24hr circulation and that it filters the water 24/7. I'm not going to back off that easy, it is definitely false advertising......

You mentioned that your circulation pump and pump #2 share a common filter. I saw this on ebay:

Pure Water Management System ($295.00 Upgrade)

Experience the pleasure of crystal clear water 24hrs a day! The Pure Water Management System is an energy efficient, silent running, constant water maintenance system. Spend your time enjoying your new Blue Water Spa, without the worry of constant water maintenance monitoring that may be common in other spa models. The heart of the system begins with it's dual 50 square foot filters. One of these filters is dedicated to 24 hour circulation, relieving the system of excess debris trapped oils that can affect the performance of your new spa. The system is powered by a low voltage circulation pump, evenly distributing ozone treated water through a dispersion injector to your spa 24 hours a day. No matter what time of day you choose to enjoy your new Blue Water Spa, it is always ready for use!

If this is where you bought your spa, it's clearly false adverstising. It says that one of the filters is dedicated to the circulation pump. It dosen't mention anything about heating, so that point probably can't be argued with them. Good Luck.

You mentioned that your circulation pump and pump #2 share a common filter. I saw this on ebay:

Pure Water Management System ($295.00 Upgrade)

Experience the pleasure of crystal clear water 24hrs a day! The Pure Water Management System is an energy efficient, silent running, constant water maintenance system. Spend your time enjoying your new Blue Water Spa, without the worry of constant water maintenance monitoring that may be common in other spa models. The heart of the system begins with it's dual 50 square foot filters. One of these filters is dedicated to 24 hour circulation, relieving the system of excess debris trapped oils that can affect the performance of your new spa. The system is powered by a low voltage circulation pump, evenly distributing ozone treated water through a dispersion injector to your spa 24 hours a day. No matter what time of day you choose to enjoy your new Blue Water Spa, it is always ready for use!

If this is where you bought your spa, it's clearly false adverstising. It says that one of the filters is dedicated to the circulation pump. It dosen't mention anything about heating, so that point probably can't be argued with them. Good Luck.

Yes, that's exactly it. The company that made it finally are starting to realize there is something going on with it. Also, the ozone isn't even hooked through pump 1 or the circ pump.. Its hooked to a jet controlled by pump 2 which doesn't even come on during filtering, it only comes on when I turn it on when Im in it and the Ozone is turned off...... I agree it should have a filter designated to it where it is pulling water in through pump 2 and through the non-filtered inlet at the bottom of the foot well, last but not least it pulls very little water down through the filter....... False advertisement is right!

Yes, that's exactly it. The company that made it finally are starting to realize there is something going on with it. Also, the ozone isn't even hooked through pump 1 or the circ pump.. Its hooked to a jet controlled by pump 2 which doesn't even come on during filtering, it only comes on when I turn it on when Im in it and the Ozone is turned off...... I agree it should have a filter designated to it where it is pulling water in through pump 2 and through the non-filtered inlet at the bottom of the foot well, last but not least it pulls very little water down through the filter....... False advertisement is right!

It's either false advertising or they're subcontracting out their plumbing design to the local high school shop class (or both).