Suggestion For Submersible Pump For Draining Spa.

TinyBubbles

I'd like to have a submersible pump around for my next drain. While the bottom drain does a great job, it takes forever. I wondered if any particular size or type of pump is the best for this application.

Tiny, you know that's a good idea. :D

I use - and love - the Little Giant pump -

submer1.jpg

Thanks Chas. Did you buy that online or at a national retailer?

Actually in my case I got it through one of my wholesale suppliers with a phone call.

Let me know if you can't find one locally - try Lowes or Home Depot, or a garden center - I can get one and would be glad to send it out at cost + shipping.

B)

• 2 weeks later...
You're too kind. Now that I have something to go on, I think I should be able to find one. I will let you know if I can't.

Tiny,

I went to a home improvement center (Menard's) and they had a bunch of them to pick from. Started reading the gallons per minute ratings and looking at pricing. Of course I was thinking the bigger and more gallons per minute the better, but then when I looked at them close, I noticed that the larger/faster ones had these knobby feet things on the bottom. This resulted in the bottom of the pump being raised off the bottom surface somewhat, maybe a centimeter (maybe a little less). Made sense I suppose, because the more quickly you try to pump you're going to need a way for the water to get into the pump quicker (more "clearance").

I decided on going with the model that had the most gallons per minute rating that DIDN'T have these little legs, so that the bottom of the pump rests nearly on the bottom of the tub, so that it sucks out the majority of the water. Worked well the first time I used it a few weeks ago. I have a 375 gallon tub, and I think it was drained in about 30 or 40 minutes if I remember correctly. The price was about $45 I think.

Hope this helps,

David