Cover Problem

simskin

Hi all

Have a hot tub and love it to bits bought it new 4 months ago but my cover sags underneath not the insulation but the material it self and touches the water it seems to smell a bit too is this normal over time do they sag with constant heat.I dont use chlorine or bromine ive been using active oxygene Bayrol which consists of a tablet and solution .I am a bit dissapionted with it as its hard to get a good reading and takes some messing around with ,Thought about changing to chlorine this may help the cover from smelling ,,,,any input gratefull

Hi all

Have a hot tub and love it to bits bought it new 4 months ago but my cover sags underneath not the insulation but the material it self and touches the water it seems to smell a bit too is this normal over time do they sag with constant heat.I dont use chlorine or bromine ive been using active oxygene Bayrol which consists of a tablet and solution .I am a bit dissapionted with it as its hard to get a good reading and takes some messing around with ,Thought about changing to chlorine this may help the cover from smelling ,,,,any input gratefull

I've heard of the material on the inside of the cover sagging to the point of touching the water. This is not normal. My cover is going on five and a half years and the underside is just fine except for a little fading. If your cover is still under warranty I would see if you can get any relief.

Loose fitting vinyl cover combined with not enough drain holes. Water gets trapped, heat is softening the underside vinyl scrim allowing it to stretch. Welcome to most OEM spa covers. They're built to a price, not a quality level. Make sure you are completely removing the cover at least once every couple weeks to allow it to drain completely.

Unfortunately the only resolution for a low quality cover might be replacing, but there are things you can do. I don't know about your sanitizing routine but it doesn't seem to be too compatible with the foam in the cover (?) The smell is likely mildew and you may be able to take the foam out of the vinyl and let it sun dry. There is also advice to leave your cover off during shocking/sanitizing so byproducts of that oxidation can off-gas because they can adversely affect your cover. My manual came with a little instruction manual with the same advice along with other tips to lengthen cover life, like flipping the foam inside the vinyl cover every 6 months or so. Other people on here have also recommended putting a vinyl protectant on the TOP, and my manual recommended regular hosing off of the underside to remove any dried on chemical deposits.

If your cover is dipping into the water it is obviously going to get wet, but why it's dipping needs to be determined. It *should* be relatively well sealed inside the cover to prevent that, so check to see if there is some kind of zipper failure or cut in the vinyl underside allowing steam to affect the foam. If you have the cash I would just go buy a nicer cover, or check with your spa dealer to see if he can swing you a deal to upgrade/warranty replace.