Spa Cover Lift For $18.74 And 30 Minutes Of Work!

erickingston

My spa cover is embarrassingly old, ugly, waterlogged, and heavy. I don't have the extra cash to invest in a new one, so I decided to try and find a way to make life/coexistence with the old one a little bit easier. I've seen pictures of cover lifters, and they have never looked very complicated, so today I decided to attempt to build one. I took the approximate measurements I needed, and ran off to Home Creepo to get the items needed:

• 2 - 3/4" x 10' Conduit @ $3.97 ea.
  • 2 - 90 Degree Conduit Elbows @ $3.62 ea.
  • 2 - Lag Screws @ $0.95 ea.
  • 4 - Washers @ $0.15 ea.
I bent each end of one piece of conduit right there in the store at just under 90 degrees. When I got home, I cut the bent conduit in half, drilled a hole at the end of each bent piece, took the measurements I needed, and then made my final 3 cuts. I assembled the unit, then used the lag screws to attach the lifter at the base of my tub. It works perfectly! No more fuss for me - awesome!

P1010293b.jpg

Looks good!!!

Is it attached to the cover in any way, perhaps at the center "hinge"?

Or, do you simply flip the front half of the cover over the conduit cross member, and then raise the conduit, lifting the cover up off the spa?

No, It's not attached to the cover. Just flip the cover over, and as you lift it, the conduit guides it into position - off of the spa. The hardest part (for me anyway) was puting the cover back on. Now I just pull the cover back towards the spa, and the conduit lays it down into place, without binding against the wall or anything like that.

Very good idea! Nice job.