Cyanuric Acid

sandi

I just bought new test strips that are 7-way (the previous ones were 4-way). My levels of other things are fine but the strip says that my cyanuric acid level is high. What is cyanuric acid? What causes the level to get high? How should I correct it? I only use dichlor on a regular basis and shock once a week or every other week depending on how often we use the spa, which is usually only on weekends. Thanks.

Sandi

Sandi

I had the same problem until sometime early Nov when I read some post here from Richard and Tony regarding high CYA from using too much dichlor and the only way to get it down is to drain and refill.

At first I drain half the tub and refill but CYA was still too high. The next day I drain all and start afresh this time using Richard and Tony's recommendation of 2 weeks dichlor then switch to bleach dosing (4 fl oz for my 425gal tub ) after each use, shocking with MPS every 5-6 use. I check my TA & PH every day for the first 2 weeks. It went down a few times. Just add PH plus. Be careful, a little at a time. Now I check every 2-3 days.

I also rinse my filter once a week. I would siphon out the water in the filter chamber after I remove the filter for rinsing. Look carefully at the chamber when you remove the filter, you will know why. Thought I'd share. Then I refill with fresh water (usually 3-5 gal). Since then my water management have been very OK, thanks to both Richard (chem-geek) & Tony who is so willing to share their knowledge on this forum.

I have to admit I was a little reluctant to try bleach but I'm glad I did.

Happy Holidays and Happy Hot Tubbing to all. :)

Jadi