Non-chlor Shock Subsitute?

Brock

I ran out of shock...yes I know :( Water is cloudy this morning and was on the verge yesterday I thought. Did not realize I was so low and added a capful and flushed out filters but so far not cleared up yet.

I have heard of people using liquid chlorox as a shock but that has chlorine in it....RIGHT? Am I stuck waiting until tomorrow and fighting the BLACK FRIDAY crowds to buy more shock?

Also, is there any benefit of using METAL MAGIC and CLARIFIERs in addition to the pH, Alkalinity, Shock chemicals?

The reason I ask is the hot tub is about 7 weeks old and starting to get foam...and brown scum on floating frog and around my neck jets. Water started getting a little cloudy couple days ago so I cleaned the pre-filter and hosed off main filter. Many said I should not need water change this soon and a good heavy shock and then filter cycle should work. Does this sound right....

Now for my guilty admission:

1. we NEVER rinse before using tub

2. we have soaked likely all but three nights over the past 60 days

3. it is addictive....evening filter cycle starts at 7pm...8pm we are in tub...9pm we exit tub. Same thing EVERY night....

Could our failure to rinse before soaking have added that many contaminants to require a water change earlier than expected?

Should I just drain and refill in morning before buying my chems....and start from scratch?

Thanks...sadly no soaking tonight it appears. Dont want to risk anything in cloudy water..... :(

I ran out of shock...yes I know :( Water is cloudy this morning and was on the verge yesterday I thought. Did not realize I was so low and added a capful and flushed out filters but so far not cleared up yet.

I have heard of people using liquid chlorox as a shock but that has chlorine in it....RIGHT? Am I stuck waiting until tomorrow and fighting the BLACK FRIDAY crowds to buy more shock?

Also, is there any benefit of using METAL MAGIC and CLARIFIERs in addition to the pH, Alkalinity, Shock chemicals?

The reason I ask is the hot tub is about 7 weeks old and starting to get foam...and brown scum on floating frog and around my neck jets. Water started getting a little cloudy couple days ago so I cleaned the pre-filter and hosed off main filter. Many said I should not need water change this soon and a good heavy shock and then filter cycle should work. Does this sound right....

Now for my guilty admission:

1. we NEVER rinse before using tub

2. we have soaked likely all but three nights over the past 60 days

3. it is addictive....evening filter cycle starts at 7pm...8pm we are in tub...9pm we exit tub. Same thing EVERY night....

Could our failure to rinse before soaking have added that many contaminants to require a water change earlier than expected?

Should I just drain and refill in morning before buying my chems....and start from scratch?

Thanks...sadly no soaking tonight it appears. Dont want to risk anything in cloudy water..... :(

Yea..It seems a little soon to drain. It also depends on the water from your tap. It you have a softener be shure not to fill your spa with soft water, it will also make it cloudy and drop calcium deposits on everything.

as far as the body oils go they have a device that floats and helps pick up the deposits. They may even have an enzime for that but ive been out of the buisness for 10 years so lots of new products I dont know of.

Best thing is to take a sample to someone who has a TDS meter(total dissolved solids) For that matter they are probably making them in china now and if so are dirt cheap and a good way to tell when you need to drain. 1500 PPM or better on a spa I would drain.

Its great your getting use out of your spa. I would too. But it does make for constant filter cleans and maintenance. Maybe get a second filter to have ready and clean the other when you get time,Just be shure and submerge the dirty one in a bucket of water till you get to it.

I`m not much for adding different chemicals to such a small body of water. Easier to drain and start over.

Good luck.