Bromine Test Question

Tee

I just got my spa installed last week, so I am really new at this. The spa seems more difficult than the pool since there is so little water compared to a 30,000 gallon pool. The last thing I want is a tub that has an odor to the water or that hurts the bathers eyes.

I have decided to use The Spa Time suite of products since it is readily accessible in my area and seems to be reasonably priced.

I added a quart of the pH Balance product and the pH is right where it should be.

Question 1. After I added the pH balance product, the tub developed a gold colored scum that collected on the water line. I scrubbed it off, and cleaned the filter and it seems to be gone now. Can I assume that was the result of the pH Balance combining with any metals in the water? Can I expect that scum if I use the product again on the same water?

Question 2. I am using bromine as a sanitizer and I have also purchased the non chlorine oxidizer product as a shock. Does bromine show up on my strip test as chlorine, or do I need a separate test kit for bromine? I added the recommended dose of the granulated Bromine, but I do not get a reading on the chlorine test.

TIA for your help.

I am very new to this water chemistry stuff, but I will try to help...if I can.

Question 1 -- I don't know for sure what may have caused this problem. If it was the metals in the water, you can use a metal sequesterant to help with the removal of any metals before you add anything else to the water that may interact with these metals.

Question 2 -- I also use Bromine in my spa. I don't believe the bromine level will show on chlorine strips...you will likely need bromine test strips. The folks on this forum highly recommend the Talyor K-2106 test kit, for Bromine, instead of test strips. I use this drop test kit now and can say it is easier for me to determine the test results with this kit instead of the strips. It is a little more involved than "dip-a-strip", but the results are much more reliable. Now, the granulated bromine is likely used to establish a bromine bank that is sitting and waiting to be "activated". If I am correct as to what the granulated bromine is for, here is something I shared with another member regarding the Bromine bank.

----------

After establishing the Bromine bank by adding the Sodium Bromide, you must "activate" it by using chlorine (simply, unscented laundry bleach will work). Adding the bleach regularly (i.e. daily) will "activate" the Sodium Bromide and will then show a Bromine reading with your test strips or Taylor test kit...I am not sure of how much bleach to add to your spa. But, if you search this forum enough, you will likely come across a formula someplace that will help you calculate the necessary amount. Or, you could experiment and add a little at a time (perhaps 1/2 tablespoon) until you get the bromine reading you're looking for...add the bleach, let the pumps circulate for 30 minutes and then test for bromine.

If you don't want to go through a daily dosage of bleach, another option is to get a floating Bromine dispenser and put bromine tablets in it. You will have to adjust the opening on the floater until you get the bromine level you want. These tablets will slowly dissolve and keep your bromine levels at the desired range. Now, this may take a couple of days to dissolve enough for you get a reading. So, in the mean time you may want to resort back to my above paragraph for the first few days, then stop adding the bleach and see if the floater is maintaining your bromine level adequately.

Regardless of which option you choose, you will need to shock the spa, once a week, with a larger amount of bleach (to "activate" the bromide bank) in order to get your bromine reading above 10ppm (shock level). Again, I am not sure how much bleach to add to your spa. You could search for a fomrula or experiment on your own again. Adding a little at a time (perhaps 1/2 cup) until you get the bromine reading above 10ppm...add the bleach, let the pumps circulate for 30 minutes and then test for bromine. After the bromine reading is above 10ppm, let the pumps run, with the cover open, until the bromine level drops below 10ppm...then it is safe to get back into the spa.

If you choose to experiment on your own, you should only have to do that once. After you figure out the total amount of bleach to add, it should always be the same.

----------

Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge will pop in and share more.

Good Luck!!!