First Month Chem Report And A Trick I Learned!

Johnny D

• Had my Sundance Maxxus, 480 gallons, for 1 month now. Love to get your feedback.
  • I keep the temp at about 102. (Wife likes it hotter, I like it cooler, this is our compromise.)
  • Both of us use the spa about 4-5 times a week, mostly just us.
  • Keep it covered
with a Spacap since I had no room on any of the sides for a hard cover. So far this is working out OK. It resembles a big comforter in that it is bulky. The air bladder seems to keep the heat in. Although in SoCal, weather is never really an issue.

All of my knowledge was gathered by reading from the experts on this board. Thank you!!! :rolleyes:

I check the chemicals daily with a test strip, quick and easy.

First week I added the Leisure Time cholrine which contains CYA.

After the first week and ever since, I switched to chlorox, regular strength. My daily check reveals that the chorine is almost zero. I add about 3 oz per day, usually when exiting the spa. It seems to last for about 24hours. My spa has ozone which runs continuously. I get NO chorine smell whatsoever.

I check with the Taylor kit once a week. Not the hard once I got the hang of it.

Almost everything is in range and my CYA is close to 30. Combined chorine has never been close to .5 so I have not shocked it ever. I am guessing the ozone eats up the spent chorine.

The PH has been on the high end of the scale, (purple on the Taylor) kit so I have been adding 1 1/2 to 2 tsp (diluted in water before adding)Spa Down by Leisure Time once a week. The next day the PH is in the middle of the range again. Cool Beans.

Foaming has not beenan issue neither has cloudiness. It remains crystal clear. The only product I use is 1 1/4 capfuls of Spa Perfect once per week. Supposedly has enzymes that helps keep everything in check and the water feels silky, never drying or harsh.

Once in a while I add Spazazz. Seems to have no effect on the chemicals that I can tell.

Once a week I remove the filter and clean it by rinsing with a hose thoroughly.

Trick I learned that I will pass on. I take a 3' section of 1/2" PVC, hold the palm of my hand over the end, airtight. Lower the other end into the spa where I see debris on the bottom, schmutz, release the palm of my hand and it get sucked up. Replae my palm over the end, remove the tube and dump that water including the debris out the side. VOILA, homemade vacuum. :D

Sounds really good. What's the Total Alkalinity (TA) level? You could probably lower it to help reduce the tendency of the pH rising (the frequent aeration and your acid addition will lower the TA over time, but you can lower it faster through the TA lowering procedure). Also, I'd add 4 fluid ounces instead of 3 of 6% bleach so you get to 4 ppm FC when you get out and it might have a little more residual when you next get in -- if it's too much for you then you can always cut back. If you find that over time you either get > 0.5 ppm CCs or the water gets dull or has any oil or scum, then you can either shock with chlorine or use MPS, but it sounds like your ozonator is oxidizing organics and CCs well.

(a tip that waterbear has reported:) If you keep your Calcium Hardness (CH) level at around 100-150 ppm, then that will prevent foaming (not a problem for you right now -- just letting you know).

Nice pipe suction method for getting stuff off the bottom.

Richard

Sounds really good. What's the Total Alkalinity (TA) level? You could probably lower it to help reduce the tendency of the pH rising (the frequent aeration and your acid addition will lower the TA over time, but you can lower it faster through the TA lowering procedure). Also, I'd add 4 fluid ounces instead of 3 of 6% bleach so you get to 4 ppm FC when you get out and it might have a little more residual when you next get in -- if it's too much for you then you can always cut back. If you find that over time you either get > 0.5 ppm CCs or the water gets dull or has any oil or scum, then you can either shock with chlorine or use MPS, but it sounds like your ozonator is oxidizing organics and CCs well.

(a tip that waterbear has reported:) If you keep your Calcium Hardness (CH) level at around 100-150 ppm, then that will prevent foaming (not a problem for you right now -- just letting you know).

Nice pipe suction method for getting stuff off the bottom.

Richard

TA has been about 100-120 that I recall.

Thanks for the feedback.