New To Site, And To Shopping

ivieisme

Ok ivie, take a DEEP breath with me. Good! I have been where you are. I know the feelings of confusion and anxiety. Honestly, it comes down to one thing. Getting the spa you like the best. If you want exterior lights, then get them. Definately, get the cover lifter. Take a minute if you can and write down each spa you are considering, then write down the pros and cons. Maybe in the long run an MP3 hook up isn't that important to you, maybe it's very important. Don't get too caught up in getting the spa now. You are going to be using this tub for a long long time and it's a big investment. A month isn't that long. Especially if you need to have an electrician come out or have any other type of prep work to do. I saw you mention on another thread that you were considering one brand because it was going to be easier to maintain. I don't get that. Why would that be? I would have to assume that a dark tub would show the water line mark more than a light colored tub, but it only takes a minute to run around the water line with a scrubby. Of course, if you are obsessive/compulsive like me, run away from black. Take your time and don't buy until you are sure that you are getting the exact spa you want. It will all be ok in the long run.

Best input I've had....thanks!

The Sundance guy came back with an offer of $9949 for the floor model Optima w/lights and cover lifter. The interior is black, and after seeing water stains on the smooth dark shells today, I'm a little hesitant. Florida has very hard water.

I re-tried the Tiger River Caspian today, and though I really like it, It only had 2 cushioned seats, and no volcano foot jet, that I really love. So I eliminated that, then went back to rec warehouse, and realized that I keep coming back to the Caldera Niagra. Eliminating the stereo (probably less problems in the long run, outdoor speakers would be fine and easier to get my home theater input), they are still $1600 cheaper than Sundance, and I think I like the spa better. I like that there is a volcano jet and no mound in the way, but the foot ridge keeps you in your seat. Also, it is one of the few that has a seat with an armrest and the neck pillow that goes over your shoulders and keeps you in your seat. The only negative is rec warehouse and lack of personal service.

One problem. The Vita salesman, who has been so good to me, worked really hard to get me a Nuage to try and had a lot of problems. It was supposed to be ready Sat, then Sun...well he called late today and said it would be ready tomorrow. I feel awful. So even though my mind is 95% made up, I should at least give it a chance???? It has a few features I love, but there are a few negatives. (cheaper looking, no armchair, no cool down), but it is $1000 cheaper, and has the stereo w/mp3.

OK, so I gave rec warehouse $500 over the phone to hold the caldera Niagra, now the Sundance dealer called back w/$9500 for a loaded optima....stereo, ozone, steps, lifter....in any color I want, able to ship on the 6th.

I am so confused!!!! Based on looks, the Sundance wins, hands down though I don't think the optional external lights change colors with the inside like Caldera. I love that. But the mahogony cabinet with louvres is really the prettiest out there. What color shell goes best?? Since I pride myself in my home, and this hot tub is right outside all of my windows with a beautiful view of the lake, looks are important. It also has a really good stereo.

I just felt like in the Optima it was EITHER feet or seats, was I doing something wrong??? If I did it halfway, the feet weren't strong enough. They also don't have a seat with arms, or a neck pillow like Caldera. But Sundance has a better filter system (they say...I haven't a clue, but they say you don't have to rinse it????!!!!) and personal service.

back and forth, back and forth......the deal is so good on the sundance!

But Sundance has a better filter system (they say...I haven't a clue, but they say you don't have to rinse it????!!!!) and personal service.

You don't have to rinse it because you replace it, it's disposable. I'm not a fan because I think the standard filter works fine, is very easy to clean (I hoep they don't make it seem like a major chore) and there is no need for expensive throw away filters IMO but it all depends on what's important to you (and I hate that we've become a throw away society). Either way will work just fine. My advice would be to make the filtering aspect a complete non issue and make your decision without factoring this in.

ivieisme - there is a D1 dealer in Sarasota at Adventure Spas. The woman I spoke with there is Margaret Bell, and she's wonderful. If it isn't too far away for you, you might want to drive there and check out their spas. I'm sure she would make sure you are treated well!

Good luck. I'm wet testing 3 today - Caldera, Hot Springs and D1!

ivieisme - there is a D1 dealer in Sarasota at Adventure Spas. The woman I spoke with there is Margaret Bell, and she's wonderful. If it isn't too far away for you, you might want to drive there and check out their spas. I'm sure she would make sure you are treated well!

Good luck. I'm wet testing 3 today - Caldera, Hot Springs and D1!

Sarasota is about 3 hours from me (I'm near Ft. Lauderdale). My first test was D-1, and though I think the first test is always disappointing, D-1 didn't work out for me. The neck jets splashed and I floated like crazy. Thanks so much though, have fun!

Hi,

My wife also has Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue so we just rebuilt our deck and added a spa platform. Long story short we bought a Caldera C-45 for $6995 from our local dealer Galati Pools in Newburgh, NY We got an electrical quote from a local top electrician who wanted to trench the 230 line out to the spa for $1700 but we found another guy who will use PVC piping under the deck for less than half that price. Make sure you follow local codes and ordinances or you will have trouble getting a C of O.

We found the Caldera to have much better hydrotherapy and jet arrangement than the Marquis at a lower price. Very surprised that Marquis won Consumer Reports best buy OR perhaps the demo unit we wet tested was defective. You MUST wet test the tubs before buying. I am 6'4" and did not know until the wet test just how important the tub depth was. Caldera is 38", Marquis was 34". Most tubs loungers are a waste but Caldera has a deeper and better contoured lounger than the others we saw and the heel holds make a big difference as to whether you will float or not.

We didn't need all the bells and whistles like built in stereo, exterior lighting, and air bubble jets so we saved a lot of money and all we need to do is plug in a light and our iPod boom box. Don't get caught up in all the fancy features; focus on the hydrotherapy and the seat/jet arrangements and your own personal comfort during the wet test.

My tub will be installed in about 2 weeks. I will let you all know how it goes.

Steve

We just got back from testing the Vita, and my husband didn't like it as much as the Caldera. Funny, through it all, I just keeping coming back to the Caldera! So, I'm off to pay........it is actually on its way here, and I will get it this week, if I can get the electric and screen guys here!

$8,000 including steps, cover lifter, delivery, and a 10' umbrella. Great deal, I think, for a Caldera Niagra. I can't wait.

Now comes the hard part.......figuring out the whole chemical thing, which really scares me.

Congratulations, ivieisme!!! I know you spent a lot of time and thought in making your decision. I hope you love it - do post pix once you have it all installed! I also made the decision yesterday to go with the Caldera Kauai! I am going by tomorrow to sign the paperwork. My electrician is coming next week to see what we can do with the electric - that makes me nervous. I hate the thought of this big pipe running across my patio wall!

I'll put up photos when mine is all ready to go - should be right before Christmas if all goes well. Let's keep our fingers crossed for some cold weather!

:D

Ivie, congrats again! Your journey just goes to show -- wet testing is the most crucial. As an example, Steve loved the Calera and didn't care for the Marquis. My wife and I felt exactly the opposite. We all know they're both very well made tubs, but everyone's physiques and tastes are different.

I'm jealous you pulled the trigger before me. I'm still trying to get my carpenter "buddies" to get out there in the cold and shore up my deck before I make the purchase.

:D WOO HOO!!!!!! My new Caldera Niagra is sitting on my patio now! Unfortunately, the electrician can't make it out till tomorrow.

:( My newly re-surfaced patio has been scratched and gouged to death, and I hope I can fix it!!! (or get it fixed....more $$$$)

Tub has a couple of dented panels from delivery, but they will be replaced.

Will post pictures when it is up and running tomorrow night!

Did they damage your patio deliverying your tub? If so, your dealer should be responsible for that. We hear alot on this forum about buying a dealer backed tub. This is a good example. Now, if you bought your tub from a big box store and slipped the driver some cash to bring your tub to your patio, that would be another thing. You paid good money for a professionally set up spa.

Did they damage your patio deliverying your tub? If so, your dealer should be responsible for that. We hear alot on this forum about buying a dealer backed tub. This is a good example. Now, if you bought your tub from a big box store and slipped the driver some cash to bring your tub to your patio, that would be another thing. You paid good money for a professionally set up spa.

I don't think I would ask....the delivery guys did the best they could and were really great. Everyone there has gone out of their way for me, and I don't want to nitpick. It is probably because the new "spray deck" was just a week old and was not fully set.

The electrician won't be here till tomorrow, so it probably won't be done till dark. I'll probably post them Saturday. (If I can figure it out--Macs don't always work great with these things.) I know there are always instructions in the posts, but if anyone has them handy, can you post them here or pm? Thanks!

By the way, after washing off my deck, I realized the damage is much worse than I originally thought. I let the store know, and I am waiting for a call. They are responsible and say they'll take care of it. Remember though, this is Rec Warehouse, so we'll see. In the meantime, I am getting an estimate from my patio guy on what it will cost to repair. The really crappy thing would be that I won't be able to walk on my deck for 3 days to get out and use the tub!!!!!!!