New Barefoot Spas At Costco

ianman

I am about to take the "plunge" and purchase my first spa. I have spent a good deal of time reading through this forum and have read the various opinions on buying spas at Costco (good prices, but curside delivery, service, warranty, etc.) I have read much about (both the good and the bad) the Hot Springs Highlife, but not much about the Barefoot spas in this forum. I have not committed to buying at Costco, however, for the reaserch I have done (fairly extensive), it seems good value for $$$. I can really use some direction before I make this important puchase, so, thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

I am about to take the "plunge" and purchase my first spa. I have spent a good deal of time reading through this forum and have read the various opinions on buying spas at Costco (good prices, but curside delivery, service, warranty, etc.) I have read much about (both the good and the bad) the Hot Springs Highlife, but not much about the Barefoot spas in this forum. I have not committed to buying at Costco, however, for the reaserch I have done (fairly extensive), it seems good value for $$$. I can really use some direction before I make this important puchase, so, thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

If you read the posts on Cotsco from the beggining you will make an informative decision. I dont recommend a Cotsco personally, however I like the return policy before a year and money back because you might consider that after getting it.

As long as you don't mind being the spa technician in every way and as long as you realize it'll be a so-so quality spa, they can be a decent deal for the right type person. If you expect a high quality spa, smooth sailing from day 1 and/or ANY amount of customer service, you need to look elsewhere.

If you read the posts on Cotsco from the beggining you will make an informative decision. I dont recommend a Cotsco personally, however I like the return policy before a year and money back because you might consider that after getting it.

I have read all the posts from the Costco yaysayers and naysayers. Quite frankly, I am not really inclined to purchase there, but I am interested in any info on Barefoot Spas as a brand and company. People are up in arms that a well know and respected company like Hot Springs is selling a product there and I really do not know much about Barefoot quality and track record. Thanks...

I have read all the posts from the Costco yaysayers and naysayers. Quite frankly, I am not really inclined to purchase there, but I am interested in any info on Barefoot Spas as a brand and company. People are up in arms that a well know and respected company like Hot Springs is selling a product there and I really do not know much about Barefoot quality and track record. Thanks...

They're a small regional company from waht I know (Iowa area I believe, thus the "hawkeye" name). I doubt you'll find too much info on them.

As long as you don't mind being the spa technician in every way and as long as you realize it'll be a so-so quality spa, they can be a decent deal for the right type person. If you expect a high quality spa, smooth sailing from day 1 and/or ANY amount of customer service, you need to look elsewhere.

The do it yourself element aside, the Costco Highlife seems "note for note" as the Hot Spring Sovereign. Would you consider the Sovereign a so-so spa?

OK, let me pose this to the knowledgable.... If you had 7-8K to spend on a tub are the any strong opinions? I realize opinions are like nostrils (we all have them), but, I need some expert advice on Brands and features in this price point. Thanks...

I never heard of barefoot spas before but I hear hotsprings all the time. Also Coleman, Artic, Marquis, Master, D1 are all very good companies.

The do it yourself element aside, the Costco Highlife seems "note for note" as the Hot Spring Sovereign. Would you consider the Sovereign a so-so spa?

OK, let me pose this to the knowledgable.... If you had 7-8K to spend on a tub are the any strong opinions? I realize opinions are like nostrils (we all have them), but, I need some expert advice on Brands and features in this price point. Thanks...

The Hot Springs offereing is a different animal in this equation IMO because it should address the quality concerns I think there are in most of the Costco offerings. It'll just be lacking some of the bells and whistles that some of those other no name spas have but down the line as the spa sits in your yard its quality that counts. "Low price" and "value" are two different things, though many don't understand that point. I would never buy a spa that I didn't think could/would last 10+ yrs (with little service needed, nothing is perfect). Ask yourself that of any spa you buy. I've seen many 6 yr old "cheap" spas being hauled to the dump and I've seen many 15 yr old spas still going strong and it's not just a random thing.

The Hot Springs offereing is a different animal in this equation IMO because it should address the quality concerns I think there are in most of the Costco offerings. It'll just be lacking some of the bells and whistles that some of those other no name spas have but down the line as the spa sits in your yard its quality that counts. "Low price" and "value" are two different things, though many don't understand that point. I would never buy a spa that I didn't think could/would last 10+ yrs (with little service needed, nothing is perfect). Ask yourself that of any spa you buy. I've seen many 6 yr old "cheap" spas being hauled to the dump and I've seen many 15 yr old spas still going strong and it's not just a random thing.

Between HS Sov. and Cotsco's HL there is not much a difference in the spa itself. What you are paying for is a piece of mind, polite knowleagable staff, backup service which goes under peice of mind! Also there is a slight difference in the tub but I dont think to the point where it should make the ultimate decision

As I read this I know there are many people on here who have more experience than I do, but the majority of them are in the business and I believe that there opinions are biased based on the fact that they view themselves as professionals and that Costco is nudging in on their business, so I think some of what may be said is just to defend their collective turf.

That said, I think the real issue is not service in this case, or quality or anything other than price. So here is the formula I would apply to the situation. Figure out the savings of purchasing at Costco. Call a local spa technician (or several) find out what they charge per hour and how long typical problems take to repair. If you come out ahead than from a monetary perspective it is a winner. Then you need to ask yourself, are you a person who can figure out some things yourself. If you are and you don't require too much hand holding I think it is a good idea.

Here is my last thought on it. I ran a mid to high end electronics store and during the NFL Playoffs a guy came in who started asking me a bunch of questions on hooking up his home theater equipment. I went to the computer to look up what exactly he purchased and there was no record. He then reluctantly told me he had purchased at Best Buy. So we talked and I drew a wiring diagram, he purchased some cables and made a go of it. A few hours later he calls up to say he was having problems. I went to his house after I closed the store. When I got there I found he had just made a simple mistake, which took me 2 minutes to spot and fix. I went the extra mile, by programming his remotes to work a little easier and teaching him what I had done.

He was very greatful and gave me some money (I don't remember how much but it was less than 100), we talked for a little while and he offered me a drink, I declined but had told him in conversation that I like good vodka. He said his boss does too. Several days later I got to work and found he had left two bottles of very good vodka for me. I will buy bottles that run 40-50 a bottle but he had brought bottles that were even pricier than that (I checked). I was very impressed with his generosity, and remember him more than most of among thousands of customers I dealt with. The moral is that even if you buy the Costco Spa you will be able to purchase the services of a professional to more than make up for any shortcomings, and should you have the right honey you may get that professional to go the extra mile for you, but have the courtesy to repay that properly. As a final side note the company I worked for didn't pay well so I actually made more (counting the vodka as monetary value) doing that on the side than had I sold him the equipment, though in fairness it was not really all that great of gear, but he doesn't have the ear or eye to pick out the subtle differences between average and high end gear.

That said, I think the real issue is not service in this case, or quality or anything other than price. So here is the formula I would apply to the situation. Figure out the savings of purchasing at Costco. Call a local spa technician (or several) find out what they charge per hour and how long typical problems take to repair. If you come out ahead than from a monetary perspective it is a winner. Then you need to ask yourself, are you a person who can figure out some things yourself. If you are and you don't require too much hand holding I think it is a good idea.

Monetarily your point is good but while you may do the math and decide you'll come out OK the spas themselves are SOMETIMES apples and oranges and that has been my point many times. If you're comparing a $5000 Costco spa with a $6200 dealer spa that may be a decent comparison but so many times the comparison is made to a Envoy or an even an Optima which go for $8-9k+ and I see someone say "I saved $4k by going the big box route" and I think "yeah, and I bought a Chevy Cavalier so I saved $10k versus getting a Toyota Camry", not exactly comparable.

In the end it comes down to quality, price, service, therapy, piece of mind, etc. (ALL of which make up the term VALUE, though many think value=price). It's a mixture of things but those who think the entire thing through carefully and take all factors into consideration are better prepared to make that decision, whichever way it leads them.

As I read this I know there are many people on here who have more experience than I do, but the majority of them are in the business and I believe that there opinions are biased based on the fact that they view themselves as professionals and that Costco is nudging in on their business, so I think some of what may be said is just to defend their collective turf.

Here is my last thought on it. I ran a mid to high end electronics store and during the NFL Playoffs a guy came in who started asking me a bunch of questions on hooking up his home theater equipment. I went to the computer to look up what exactly he purchased and there was no record. He then reluctantly told me he had purchased at Best Buy. So we talked and I drew a wiring diagram, he purchased some cables and made a go of it. A few hours later he calls up to say he was having problems. I went to his house after I closed the store. When I got there I found he had just made a simple mistake, which took me 2 minutes to spot and fix. I went the extra mile, by programming his remotes to work a little easier and teaching him what I had done.

He was very greatful and gave me some money (I don't remember how much but it was less than 100), we talked for a little while and he offered me a drink, I declined but had told him in conversation that I like good vodka. He said his boss does too. Several days later I got to work and found he had left two bottles of very good vodka for me. I will buy bottles that run 40-50 a bottle but he had brought bottles that were even pricier than that (I checked). I was very impressed with his generosity, and remember him more than most of among thousands of customers I dealt with. The moral is that even if you buy the Costco Spa you will be able to purchase the services of a professional to more than make up for any shortcomings, and should you have the right honey you may get that professional to go the extra mile for you, but have the courtesy to repay that properly. As a final side note the company I worked for didn't pay well so I actually made more (counting the vodka as monetary value) doing that on the side than had I sold him the equipment, though in fairness it was not really all that great of gear, but he doesn't have the ear or eye to pick out the subtle differences between average and high end gear.

I really think you nailed it. Service is always available whether or not your a "hands on" person or not. And I completely agree with the "honey is better than vinegar" approach when it come to dealing with anyone, especially those who want to rely on for servicing items in your home. That said, if you chose the "spa store approach" (as opposed to a Costco), and you bought a spa that needs constant care, I would imagine your "spa store" will grow weary of your constant needs regardless of their service policy. At the same time, cerain benefits undoubtably remain when you purchase a large ticket item from a more "intimate environment. Each individual must put all of this on their own "scales of justice" and try to make the best decision for themselves. Thanks