A Question About Floor Slopes And Inclinations

RIco Laguna

This is a topic that I havent really seen many people discuss,...I see 2 major styles of pool floors, The flat shallow bottom that sharply transitions to a steep deep end pit, and then there's the more common fiberglass style that have a continuous slope that usually starts at approx 3'6 or so and gradually transistions to a 6'6 or so over a 28-30ft distance. And of course there's the totally flat bottom pools.

My question is, I am wondering what people prefer that may have actually used both kinds of pools?...which is more practical?

I'd like a flat area but I'm also not so sure I'd like a sharp drop. And for those of you that have experienced the pools with the continuous slope, how practical and comfortable is it for every day use. Is it gradual enough whereas you dont really even notice the sloping or does it constantly feel like your going 'downhill'?

Im confused as to how I feel about which kind of pool I want.......I like the idea of a totally level bottom but I also dont want to sacrifice a deep area. Im not so sure I can feel comfortable with an entire pool at 4ft of depth.

Please share your thoughts....I dont want to make a 30K mistake without getting some different opinions

thanks again

Rico, good question. Most glass pools go from about 3'-5' or 3'-6'. These are the most common depths of models available to you, and that's because most consumers are looking for a gradual depth in this area (4' all the way across is quite rare). With a 3- 5'or 6' depth, the grade is not such that you feel like you're on a hill. In fact, it's a great depth. Great for jumping in the pool in the deep area or using a slide, but shallow enough to throw a volleyball net across the middle.

Thus, go with a gradual depth and I can almost guarantee you it will give you the most functionality and usage.

Hope this helps.

Rico, In most cases the 4ft. deep pools are lap pools or small pools that serve a particular function for people with certain needs, such as too small of a yard to put an average size pool in, or soil conditions that would make a deeper pool to costly, or perhaps the client can't swim but still enjoys floating in the water or water aerobics. Pools like the one that you described as having "a sharp transition to a steep deep end pit" are ideal for those individuals that wish to dive into the deep end (although most 8ft. deep fiberglass pools do not meet industry standards for a "diving pool"), and in my opinion, are a waste of space. A pool that has a gradual transition from shallow to deep serves many peoples needs.