Spasolution, Chlorine And Nothing Else?

duck_man

Our spa dealer recommends we use SpaSolution, chlorine and nothing else. He recommends we add a 'little bit' of chlorine every 2 or 3 days and don't even bother checking the PH as the SpaSolution takes care of it by itself.

How much is a little bit for our bather load? 2 adults, 1 hour per day.

The PH seems very high compared to our last tub, in which I used bromine in a floating dispenser and had very few problems for eight years. Isn't PH above 8 too high? Is it hard on the tub? Also I have itchy dry skin all the time after using the tub.

It seems like the chlorine disappears in no time and I'm constantly adding more. Should I just get a floating dispenser and little pucks like I had with the bromine tub, rather than testing and adding all the time? I used to simply shock and hose out the filter once per week. Now I'm constantly worrying about it.

How do I do this?

Our spa dealer recommends we use SpaSolution, chlorine and nothing else. He recommends we add a 'little bit' of chlorine every 2 or 3 days and don't even bother checking the PH as the SpaSolution takes care of it by itself.

How much is a little bit for our bather load? 2 adults, 1 hour per day.

The PH seems very high compared to our last tub, in which I used bromine in a floating dispenser and had very few problems for eight years. Isn't PH above 8 too high? Is it hard on the tub? Also I have itchy dry skin all the time after using the tub.

It seems like the chlorine disappears in no time and I'm constantly adding more. Should I just get a floating dispenser and little pucks like I had with the bromine tub, rather than testing and adding all the time? I used to simply shock and hose out the filter once per week. Now I'm constantly worrying about it.

How do I do this?

Spa Solution is an enzyme system very similar to Eco One or the Natural, which are more popular. You can search the forums for these two systems and find information from users. Enzyme systems like the high pH and will draw it up to that point. Enzymes are natural bacteriacides but like silver are slow acting and need a compantion sanitizer to work effectively. Generally a low level chlorine residual is enough but as we all know there is no keeping a residual of chlorine so a couple of teaspoons every couple of days for a 500 gallon spa should give you enough. You should check your pH weekly to be sure it stays in the range it is supposed to be at. Also, enzyme systems usually require you to rinse your filters weekly because of the high pH.

Spa Solution is an enzyme system very similar to Eco One or the Natural, which are more popular. You can search the forums for these two systems and find information from users. Enzyme systems like the high pH and will draw it up to that point. Enzymes are natural bacteriacides but like silver are slow acting and need a compantion sanitizer to work effectively. Generally a low level chlorine residual is enough but as we all know there is no keeping a residual of chlorine so a couple of teaspoons every couple of days for a 500 gallon spa should give you enough. You should check your pH weekly to be sure it stays in the range it is supposed to be at. Also, enzyme systems usually require you to rinse your filters weekly because of the high pH.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but...

Why does high pH require more frequent filter rinsing?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but...

Why does high pH require more frequent filter rinsing?

Don't know exactly what it is with enzyme systems but weekly filter rinsing is important. Not sure if calcium gets filtered out from the high pH or the positive/negative ion thing. High pH will cause calcium to precipitate out of the water though.

Thanks for the info. I'll try this for a few months but I'm already tempted to change back to bromine. For such an 'easy' system it's a pain in the rear.

Thats why I haven't tried enzymes yet...seems more work than what I do. Water lasts a whole lot longer without deterioration with enzymes though.