Cartridge Filter Psi Increase.

Is it normal for the pressure in a cartridge filter to jump up 10 PSI when I switch from pool suction and return to spa suction and return? At the suggestion of my pool manufacturer I pulled out the four filters and hosed them off to clean all the loose plaster off of them. I didn't notice the pressure increase this way before I cleaned the filters and was wondering it's normal. The pressure stays constant around 20 PSI when I have the suction and return set to the pool but when I switch it over to the spa the PSI jumps to around 30.

• 1 month later...

when the spa is isolated from the pool, it will cause the increase in pressure at the filter,the reason for this is your spa jets have an orifice in each jet that restrict flow,in order to achieve the theuraputic pressure effect from the jets,this is normal,when you clean your filters and replace them back in the tank observe the gauge reading on the filter when it is in its normal pool circulating mode,and when it gets 10-15 p.s.i. or higher with the pool valves set in the same position for the initial reading you had with clean filters,it will be time to clean them again,for example if you put new clean filters in aug.7.2007 and noticed the gauge reading was 10 p.s.i. in the normal pool circulation mode,and after a few months or whatever time goes by and you notice the pressure is now 20-25 p.s.i. in the same mode you originaly used to determine the clean filter presure reading,it will be time to reclean them again