Another Newbie Question - Initial Startup

The instructions that came with the chemical startup kit for my Sundance Altimar states to fill the spa, turn on jets, add bromine and circulate for 2 hours. Then empty the spa, wipe it out, refill and then add the bromine with the rest of the chemicals. The actual User Manual makes no mention of this and the dealer was non-committal. Is this just a waste of water and bromine??

Thanks,

Jay

I would do it. We are going on a little over a month now on our new tub and we have drained it twice. The reason for filling and draining is to kill the bacteria that was in the tub from when it was tested at the factory and possibly again at the dealer. The initial dose of Bromine is to kill what's in there. Once again...you will hear different stories from everyone, but we ended up doing this.

I tell our customers to fill, balance, chlorine shock,heat and enjoy.

Then do a water change at the end of the first month of ownership.

Four month intervals from that point on.

B)

Thanks for all the feedback. We decided to fill, treat, and enjoy -- and then empty, refill, etc after a month.

We're in the Washington, DC area and in the middle of a horrible heat wave with almost no rain in over a month, so I hate to waste the water.

BTW, I've read mixed thoughts about using old spa water to water the lawn, trees, garden, etc. Is this OK to do or should I just run the hose to the street?