New Pool Buyer

Hi'all,

I will be a first time pool buyer and I want an above ground (18x36) or 18 x 33. What are the very best brands? Is Ester Williams good? Dough boy? Sharkline? I've only heard these name. Please guide me. I'd rather spend good money and get a good pool that will last. I appreciate all the advice. DH

I've got an Esther Williams (installed last year) 21 round and was lead to belive it was one of the best you could buy;

1) high quality, very thick liner. Regarded as one of the best liners on the market.

2) extruded alluminum rails are structually stronger than stamped alluminum or stamped steel.

3) Rolled aluminum wall wont corode

4) I went with wide aluminum collums for the side. Once agin, extruded allumimun for streagth.

All in all I was impressed.

I've heard good things about Sharkline, and there was a dougboy rep who would frequent this board and claim they were the best (I honestly don't know).

I've heard bad things about Namco.

The other issue is a pool is only as good as the install. Check out the dealer and the BBB.

Also if the filtration isn't good then your water quality suffer. Then it won't matter how nice the liner or sides are if the water is gross.

Here's a photo showing the large aluminum collums (not resin) along the side of the alumimum wall

pool6.jpg

And this pics shows the beefy aluminum top rails.

pool2.jpg

Since you are going square (oval?) talk to these deales about installation. Square and Oval pools require more work for the install. Some companys will run straps under the pool to each side to support it (This is good). Some don't. Check into the buttresses on the sides and compare them. I think if you talk details about the install, and what's involved, you might get a better understanding of who's selling you the better made and better installed pool.

I bought an Intex 18'X52" at costco for $400 as a temp until we can put in an inground. I have been using it for several months and so far it is great, my only complaint is that the cover sucks. It blows off easily and doesn't always float on the surface. It's still a great value considering it comes with pump, filter, cover, ground tarp, ladder and suction cleaning kit w/ surface skimmer.