Hayward Vs. Pentair

We live in Houston, Texas and have decided to put in a pool. We are getting mixed signals about which equipment is better. We are hearing that Pentair and Hayward are basically the same except for the heaters. We are hearing from some pool companies that Pentair has come out with a new heater and that heater issues are no longer an issue, however we haven't heard any complaints about Hayward. Just looking for some people's opinion. Thanks

I am an electrician in San Antonio. I have installed both systems. I have seen almost no warranty issues on the Hayward heaters, but have had a couple Pentairs go out. Personally, I really like the Hayward Tri-star pumps. The pool company I do most of my work for installs the 2 speed pumps. We have had a lot of warranty claims on them lately. I will admit, that Hayward has been all over taking care of their claims on the pumps. The bearings have been squealing when the pump is on high. We don't put a ton of automated systems in, but I have put the intelli-touch and the Goldline in as well. I have had numerous warranty calls on one intellitouch system that constantly needs to be reprogrammed. Pentair did a good job on warranty as well.

Overall, if I were going to pick what to put on a pool for me, I would go with Hayward. Of the products I have worked with, I like theirs the most. I'm sure others will have different opinions, but that is mine. If you have more specific questions, feel free to email me through the forum. Just be sure to put something like "pool question" so I don't think it is spam.

We live in Houston, Texas and have decided to put in a pool. We are getting mixed signals about which equipment is better. We are hearing that Pentair and Hayward are basically the same except for the heaters. We are hearing from some pool companies that Pentair has come out with a new heater and that heater issues are no longer an issue, however we haven't heard any complaints about Hayward. Just looking for some people's opinion. Thanks

I don't believe pentair and hayward are the same. Hayward is very popular around here and I love their pumps. the H series heater is very reliable if you get the electronic version. don't get any heater that's millivolt (standing pilot) they still manufacture them, but don't go there if you can, especially on a new install where running another high voltage feed is very cheap and easy.

As far as pentair heaters, they used to be called Purex. Junk back then, and did not get better when pentair put their sticker on them. maybe they have come out with some new heater in the last year or two, but watch out for the minimax or mighty max or whatever they call it. bad heater and factory tech support is a joke.

You could also consider Jandy. thier pumps are ok, their filters are nice and the heaters are good too. excellent tech support and thier reps really take of the dealers. that means the dealer will take care of you and not try to weasel out of warranty claims because jandy pays parts/labor pretty much no questions asked. also, I feel that their aqualink controller is the best out there. I know the new eos is better on paper, but you cannot beat the aqualink for reliability and it's still a solid design. just expensive to upgrade because it's hardware based, meaning any significant upgrades require the purchase of chips.

• 2 weeks later...

It always amazes us on the west coast how popular Hayward products are in the east. From the servicemans perspective they are not popular at all. On pools here you'll find 90% Purex(Pentair) filters mostly because the manifolds on the bottom and they're much easier to totally clean. As far as heaters are concerned the new Maxtherm is a great heater although it's just a rewraped sta-rite Raypak being number 2. For pumps once again it's 90% Whisperflows another Pentair product extremely quiet and powerful currently I'm looking into the new intelliflow pumps.