Pool heater tries to restart with no water flow?

Hello, introducing myself as a new member. I have experience with several different forums. Always appreciate those who help us learn new things. I have little experience with heated pools but I am learning as I go. Thought I might throw this out there and ask for some ideas. All ideas are appreciated! Our pool heater is a Heat Pump : Model  AE 3000T / 131,000btu. 

The heater heats the pool to the set point temp and turns off as should. Our water pump is set up on a timer. When the water pump times out(shuts off) and the pool water temp cools down below set point and calls for the heater to turn back on the compressor kicks on and the fan doesn't. This happens when the water pump is still off. The pool heater has a 5 minute delay start. One of my questions, why does the pool heater even go through the attempt to start with the water pump off? The heater does shut down when I manually turn the water pump off while it's in the heating cycle. Is that normal? I hope I explained myself well enough. Any further explanations needed or ideas to my issue would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!