Electric To Gas Conversion

fisherolf

Hi all,

I have an electric heated spa (employing a Balboa 880 controller) that I'm hoping to convert to gas, using a Raypak 2200 gas heater.

Currently the water runs from the filter to the pump and then through the electric heater (which contains the thermostat).

It is my intention to simply introduce the Raypak between the filter outlet and pump inlet, disconnecting the 240v power from the electric heater and using it to power the Raypak.

When the water temp drops the thermosat will close, but rather than providing 240v to the electric heater I'm hoping it will turn on the Raypak. The Raypak should then begin heating the water with gas until the water reaches the set temp, thus opening the thermosat and removing power from the Raypak - turning it off.

With the Raypak temperature set to Max and water continuing to flow through the (now defunct) electric heater and thermostat the temp should still be controlled by the spa controls.

Can anyone see flaws in my reasoning ? Any input or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks