Caldera Spa Heat Issue

shoffman

I recently drained and cleaned my Caldera Geneva spa. We havent actually used it in months and I found the filter totally plugged and filthy with a scummy like substance. I sprayed the filter the best I could, soaked it in filter cleaner and rinsed it again. After filling the spa and replacing the filter, the spa would run for awhile and then kick out, showing only dashes on the display. Through trial and error I found the circulation pump was getting hot but never running. I comfirmed that it was bad by putting an extension cord plug on it and plugging directly into the wall. Luckily I had the good factory circulation pump which had been replaced a year ago in error. I also removed the filter completely until a new one arrives. Now the spa stays on, but it won't heat up.

Does the filter need to be in the spa for it to work properly? The heat icon flashes on the display so it's calling for heat, but the heater tube never gets hot or even warm.