How To Service This Spa?

We were given a portable spa by someone. They said it leaks and they don't use it enough to justify having it looked at or repaired. They know my brother is pretty handy when it comes to plumbing and electric so they thought we might want to check it out ourselves as my wife has been wanting one for some time.

Rolled it up into position, filled it with water and let it heat up. All seems to be working fine mechanically except for the leak. It leaks about a foot of water every 24 hours until roughly a foot is left. It leaks if it's plugged in, running or just sitting unplugged. The fact that it stops consistently a foot or so from the bottom suggests to me that there's a crack or something a foot up from the bottom and water will leak until it gets to that point, then stop. My guess is they didn't keep it running during the winter and something froze and cracked (we're in Syracuse, NY so pretty cold winters..).

Fixing the leak itself isn't a problem, but what is will be finding it. How exactly do we get "inside" it? Bottom is pretty much enclosed in fiberglass, plastic. Inside the walls is a heavy foam insulation. Do we have to break the foam apart, pull the pipes out, put them back in and then get some sort of spray foam to fill the walls back in? These must be serviceable homehow... But how?!

Yes. Dig the foam out and replace after fixing. Spray foam works or just stuff in bubble wrap or any form of insulation.

Check the equipment bay 1st for leaks from the pump(s) etc.

If not there, try to determine which side of the tub has the leak. Remove the skirting and try to find wet foam. Probe foam with a stick and check if it comes out wet.

If you still can't find the leak you can get spa water dye that should stain the foam and lead you to the leak.