Inaccurate Temperature Shutting Down Pump

bz81

I bought a Gulf Coast Cape Haze spa new about about 8 years ago. I believe it has a Gecko spa pack.

Overall it's been pretty good, though the breaker has tripped intermittantly over the years and I'm not sure whether it's the circuitboard or if my electrical load is too great for the breaker box at times.

Last year I replaced the temperature sensor and the pressure switch, but since then a new problem has arisen.

When I set my spa on 101 I don't generally have any issues, but if the temperature rises to 102 or 103 the pump shuts off and the temperature reading starts bouncing around. It flashes 105 then 114 then 109 then 111, in no particular order.

Once the water temp falls back to 101 the pump will usually run a cycle or even multiple cycles with no problem.

The water temperature is accurate at 101, however if the temperature rises with the lid closed and is reading 102 or 105 when I open it, not only will the pump not run but the actual water temperature may only be 99 at that point.

I'm not getting any kind of error code on the display, like FLO or Hi-Limit errors, just the flashing temperture that bounces all over the place and shuts down the pumps.

Could it be a bad temperature sensor? Could the circuit board be bad?

I can't identify the problem. Any comments or suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you!

It could be the board, or it could be a sensor... or, believe it or not, it could be the topside control.

Are you certain that the tub would run without any issues if you set the temperature to 99?

A lot of times a spa will run in default mode when the topside control is unplugged. I'm not sure what the default temperature setting is for Gulf Coast, but most companies use temperatures between 99 and 102. You can try to unplug the topside to check the functionality of the spa for a couple of days- make sure that it maintains temperature and filter cycles. If it seems to be working fine then you probably have a topside issue and it will need to be replaced.

Gecko tech should be willing to talk to you and could probably tell you whether or not it is the topside without having to do any testing yourself.