Ta And Calcium Good But Ph Too High >8.0

Autoeng

Setting up my 200 gallon spa for Bromine. Used Muriatic acid to reduce TA from initial 210 to 100. Calcium is 180. PH has been 8+ throughout process. Ran jets while adding MA. How do I lower PH without sinking my TA? I'm ready to add the Sodium Bromide once I get the PH in the right range.

Get your TA down to 60 or so and your pH will be around 7.6 or 7.7. If you've read that your TA should be at 100, that's just too high to a have your pH where it should be. I would add one ounce of muriatic acid, run pump for 20 minutes, and then test again. You are very close, just don't overdue it.

The TA in the sticky for bromine says 100 because it presumes that the bromine tabs are net acidic. However, your specific spa usage including the use of jets may have the pH rise faster. The real rule is to lower the TA level until the pH becomes stable (but not below 50 ppm TA). If you were to use non-chlorine shock (MPS) for making more bromine from a bromide bank, then that would be more acidic so the needed TA really depends on the details of how you manage the spa.