Overheating

Hello, new to the spa world, a friend gave me spa when he bought a new home, here is one of the problems, the overheat message is now showing, the water temperature is at 80f, for i just refilled it, in the manual it says that maybe temperature at heater element too high or water temperature too high, I know it is not the water, what can cause this problem. 2004 Beachcomber, 500 series, Digital 2000, I also see Balboa on the heater. I also have low flow sometimes, but I undo the bleeder valve and nudge the flow switch, this seems to work, but then "OH" comes on again. I think that is it for now. Thanks.

Thanks for the info, I now did that, unforutunately before i got to try it , the gfci tripped, and now I can't turn on the breaker, it does not even stay on, I have been going through this site for hours, I do not know what to do, I have a multimeter, but I don't really know what to check or where to start, if worst comes to worst should I change the board and the heater. Thanks again.

It's possible you fried the heater element. A multimeter is the best way to check. Disconnect both lugs, measure the resistance between the lugs . It should read about 8-10 ohms . If it shows 0 or close to it then it's toast

Thanks , just checked ohms reads 8, when disconnected i read to try the breaker again, still jumps, I then disconnected pump, breaker did not jump, now I am just wondering , maybe a stupid question, but here it goes, before I take the pump out, could the problem be the wire from the board that has the female connections that the pump plugs int,or the place on the board that controls the pump,or would it be the pump wiring or pump itself for sure. I don't even know if I am explaining it right. Thanks., Forgot something, when my son was opening the breaker for me, 2 relays click, both were for the hi-lo temp ,LR3 and LR4, don't know if that was normal though.Thanks again.

Pump could be toast. That would explain thr low flow and overheat. If the pump tries to start and the breaker trips, it could be a damaged impeller. You need to pull the pump to see what's going on. The motor might still be ok

Pump was toast, full of water, burnt it, got a new pump, installed it , only works on low speed, ,now I am going crazy, original pump 4.5hp 16.8 /4.8 amp, the new pump 4hp 12.0/4.4amp, they told me it would do the same, inverted the wires, still the same.When I do put it on high, there is a change in the motor, but still on low. I wanted to send pictures of the wiring diagram, it does not look like I am able. There is something I am not sure of.Thanks, I will still look on the posts if there is something.

New stuff, pump now runs both speeds,maybe I had some loose wiring,but does not shut down now,it is supposed after 1 hour, even if I press the massage button, it still does not go off, I will figure that out later, when I touch the heater I do not feel warmth at all, is this normal, at the lugs of the heater element i do read 240v, and there is continuity of 9 ohms coming out also, I am just not sure if it is heating. When a spa reaches its temperature, would you still read 240 at the elements, or is the current shut down at the board, this may sound stupid, but I am not an electrician, just wondering, and learning.

For your own safety and that of anyone who uses the tub, hire a professional to fix this problem, you have an appliance that manages 240 volts and water next to each other, the learning curve can be fatal.

I have been fixing hot tubs for more than 2 decades, PLEASE don't end up as a headline in your local paper.