Totally Frustrated

I am a newly here. I have read many of the forum posts on several different occasions and they have helped greatly so I am here asking for help. I have a huge pool....40x25 and it holds 38,000 gal of water. I have lived here for 4 years and for the life of me I can't get this pool chemistry in the zone no matter what I do. Last year I had the pool replastered. I have to put water in the pool every two days because of the evaporation. I live 30 miles east of San Diego so it does get hot. The pool temperature averages about 85 degrees. The county water is hard...hard...hard. So it seems like having to put water in every two days it just messes up the chemistry. I have NO free chlorine and I have the special test just to test for free chlorine. I put 4 gallons of chlorine in yesterday too. All the other classifications are pegged TH 1000, No free chlorine, PH 8.4, TA 8.4, but CYA is 30-50....so it is ok. We have put in 30lbs of PH down to no avail. What the hell am I doing wrong? I have taken samples to the pool store and have done everything they have told me so that was a no go. Is this a lost cause with the county water being so hard? Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I live in Las Vegas and am familiar with the 'hard' water. I'm not an expert but have been successful in maintaining my pool for 14 years. One thing you didn't mention was having put in a stabilizer to help hold the chlorine. This is needed to help prolong the life of the chlorine once added. Any pool store should carry this. It comes under several names but just tell them you need stabilizer if you have not added it as yet. Once it is added it will not go away. If you add too much the only way to reduce it is by draining some pool water and adding fresh water. Creep up on it so you don't over add.

My pool is small, 16,000 gal, and I use a floating feeder for the chlorine that holds the 3 inch tablets. With such a large pool you may need two feeders. There are injectors that put chlorine in but only when the pump is running. There may be other methods available. The salt system is supposed to work well but it is expensive.

Keeping the pH in tow is a daily affair in hot weather because of the evaporation rate. Add acid according to the directions on the container for a pool your size. Check the pH in 24 hours. A newly plastered pool will keep slacking for awhile and will drive the pH up a little faster than normal. I maintained a pool for a neighbor after it was replastered and after about 6 months it didn't need as much acid to keep the pH in the proper range.

I have done searches on pool water chemistry and found some very good articles. Here is one:

http://chlorine.americanchemistry.com/Chlorine-Benefits/Safe-Water/Pool-Treatment-101.html