What Chemical Reactions Take Place When Adding Cl?

BradS1

I've been reading a gen chem textbook and my interest in chemical reactions is peaking. To the guru's out there(shout out to Chem Geek :) ), what processes are taking place in the tub when Cl(dichlor) is added?

Is acid being formed by the Cl ions and what type of acid if so? I'm guessing the Cl are forming ionic bonds with bacteria, and salt, and maybe lose H ions to form HCL which in turn lowers ALK?

When any source of chlorine is added to the water that is at the usual pH near 7.5, then at least some hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is formed and that is the disinfecting form of chlorine. There is also some hypochlorite ion (OCl-) that is formed. However, when there is Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water, then there are many more chemical species including those with chlorine bound to CYA, the most dominant one being HClCY- where "CY" is the core CYA ring (so H3CY would be cyanuric acid, though the most dominant species at usual spa pH is H2CY-). See Pool Water Chemistry for more details.