Infrequent User Water Maintenance

Jwalker678

I have a Hot Springs spa. I believe it is 450 gal. I hardly used it the past 12 months. I just drained, cleaned and replaced the water. I intend to use it more often but probably will average no more than once or twice per week and then it is usually just me. I ordered some 1" chlorine tabs and a floater/dispenser. How much/often should I tend the chlorine? What is the minimum I need to do to maintain water balance?

Chlorine tabs are a bad idea in a spa. They are extremely acidic and will dissolve really fast in hot water. if you don't stay on top of the water you'll damage the spa.

For your situation (which is very similar to mine, except i'm in 3-4 times a week) i'd recommend you go to the three step bromine method with 50 ppm borate. There is a sticky thread for this method in this forum. If you follow it you'll do fine with it.

With the borax in my tub i rarely have PH issues (just bump up the TA to about 70-80) and as long as i don't run out of tabs all is good.