Dichlor For N2 Shocking

torizoe

The N2 directions call for 1.5 TBS per 250 gallons of dichlor for cartridge activation and as needed for shocking.

I did the activation as directed and my FC level seemed really high. So I looked at the directions on my bottle of dichlor (Spa Essentials) and they call for 1 tsp per 100 gallons for superchlorination. HUGE difference.

This has been bothering me because I feel like I'm missing something. So I've been reading the N2 instructions and the Spa Essentials directions and I realized they have slightly different names for their dichlor. I thought dichlor was dichlor but maybe I'm wrong.

N2 calls for Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate.

Spa Essentials active ingredient is Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate (99%).

So I guess these are different things? Or maybe they are the same and N2 wants me to super-superchlorinate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Lara

Those are synonyms for the same dichlor chemical. And yes, the N2 instructions say to superoxidize which will activate the cartridge. 1.5 tablespoons of Dichlor per 250 gallons is only 12.5 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) and it's moderated in its strength by the CYA added by Dichlor. So while this is a higher than normal level, it's a far cry from a full decontamination (for spas with biofilms or other serious problems) that typically uses 50 or 100 ppm FC. Just let the FC drop below 5 ppm as indicated by the instructions. If you are in a hurry and the chlorine hasn't dropped enough after a day, then you can use a chlorine neutralizer or hydrogen peroxide to lower the FC level. For example, to lower the FC by 10 ppm in 350 gallons would take roughly 5 fluid ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide.