Green Stains Left On Clothes After Swim

wojie24

Hi all,

I have a persistent problem I hope someone can help me with.

Last summer (Australia, so around December 2011) I started noticing all our bathing suits were starting to show green stains after a swim. I took a water sample to my local pool shop and the guy tested it for Copper and the reading was quite high so it was decided that this was the problem. I use a 5 in 1 chlorine which has algecide so that is where we thought the copper might have been coming from.

I treated the pool (all 70,000 litres of it!) with several bottles of stain remover over a few weeks to remove the copper and the levels dropped to an acceptable level.

Even after that treatment, we are still getting green stains!

I do not over chlorinate my pool so it can't be that surely?

Any ideas why we still get the stains?

I have a concrete pool, like i said 70,000 litres, with a sand filter.

Any help would be great, cheers.

No heater but we have a solar blanket which keeps the water 30+°C. We have not had the source water tested so I might do that. We have only seen the problem the last 2 years and we have been in the house for over 5 years so if it was the source water surely we would of seen problems before?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will help in any way. in South AFrica we have a product called Blu52. From my understanding it is a copper based sanitizer. I have heard from a few users that when they tried using an chlorine shock treatment in conjunction with the product that overnight their pools where often badly stained. I have no idea if this has any relevance to your situation but I hope it helps.