Cloudy Water On Refill

gary3029

Hi been tubbing for many years and have got into a system now where I have few problems if any. I use the bromine 3 stage and as the sticky says very forgiving. I use the tub, 1000 litres, most nights and empty every 3 months. Emptied on Saturday and followed routine setup. Refill and ch 171. Then reduce alkalinity from 200+ down to around 85 using PH Minus and using bubbles to increase ph. This usually takes about 4-6 hours and I stabilise at about ph 7.5. Once that is done I then follow the 3 stage bromine and turn on the heat. Over next couple of days I fine tune. I follow this setup each time and no problems and no problems over next 3 months, just normal checks.

This time a problem. Did the above and next day when I checked the tub it was very cloudy with evidence of a powder residue. Filter was clogged with this residue. Changed filters and did checks. Ph 6.9 and Alkalinity 20. Added some ph plus and air on and those 2 have now stabilised at 86 and 7.6. Changed filter daily and clogged up with white stuff. Water starting to clear slightly.

Not sure what as happened...any ideas?

Thanks

I can understand getting white flakes of calcium carbonate if the pH went up with the high TA, but it sounds like the opposite happened with the acid addition being too much and getting the TA and pH too low. So I'm not sure what the white stuff is. Does it fall apart like tissue paper? At what point do you add a disinfectant such as bromine? Perhaps not having any disinfectant allowed bacteria to multiply.

This Is defiantly a white powder. It look like flour on the floor of the tub and the water is cloudy. It has clogged up the filters. I add the bromine starter and bleach as soon as the ph and Ta were brought down to an acceptable level then turned the heat on and add the bromine floater. At this point water clear. It was next day the water was white. Bromine was at 6 and I fine tuned the TA and PH, but with this white water and clogged filter. As the filter catches the particles water clearing slightly. The only chemical I added of any quantity was PH minus as I reduced the TA, using the bubbles to raise the PH.

Other chemicals in the tub at emptying is pipe cleaner prior to emptying. Stain and scale inhibitor on filling. PH minus, sodium bromide and bleach.