Crushed Gravel Pad Design Idea.. Opinions?

Ja4496

Hello! New to the forum and to hot tubs in general. I am currently in the process of buying my first tub. I have narrowed my tubs down to the Marquis 545 with lounger or the Hot Spot Rhythm without lounger. The ultimate choice will come down to my wife deciding on whether she wants the lounger or not. She was dead set on having it until she looked at the Rhythm(and both sales people at both shops told her she would likely float and not enjoy it as much as she thinks)so it's up in the air ATM. Anyways...

My idea is this. My tub is going to be added to an existing pea gravel patio off the back of my home. I am extending the patio around the porch so a concrete pad is out because I want the patio to stay consistent. I am going to use 3/4 or 1/2 granite screening @ 10" compacted every 2 inches with a vibrating plate packer in a 4x4 flushed frame 100"x100". I'm going 10" because thats where I reach the virgin packed western North Carolina mountain clay that I can barely cut with a shovel. Most things I read say 6" is adequate but granite is cheap @ $30 a yard so I'm going a bit deeper than adequate.

Now..l I was thinking about adding a centered 4x6 to help sure up the center and one 35" off each side of center to sure up the outer edges. 1)will this actually add any support or will this create stress on the frame? 2) I was thinking about dusting Portland cement as I was wetting and packing the lower 4-6 inches of gravel. Has anyone tried this or wat do you think about this to keep it from settling? Hanks for any thoughts and advice. As I said Concrete is out and I don't like the easy pads so it it gravel for sure. Just want the best way the do it

I think those supports may create stress points more than anything and I don't think you need to add the cement. I'd frame around it so the gravel can't wash away, get it level, place the spa carefully and I think you'll be fine from there. Unless she wet tests to prove it specifically works for her, I would go non-lounge for sure.

Agree with spatech - it is risky to buy a lounge without a wet test. Do the wet test and if she likes it, you are good to go.

Treat the area under the tub uniformly so if there is any settleing it wil not crete stress concentrations from different condition. You plan sounds good - as i understand you are using crushed material (I think better than pea gravel which is round although some may say they have used it and it is fine) under the tub. Yes - contain the base material with a perimeter "frame".

I agree with spatech on the lounger. It's a feature that my wife was quite insistant upon when we were looking for a tub. The truth is it's rarely if ever used and yes unless you want to wear a "Diving Belt" the're next to impossible to stay in

Thanks for the opinions! I tend to "over-engineer" projects from time to time(build a better mouse trap) rather than just go with tried and true time tested. Yes the gravel is sharp course ground crusher run in a frame and will have 3" of pea gravel on top of it (after the spa is set) to help with erosion. I plan to backfill 7" packing every inch or so and then set the 4x4, level, and fill and and pack so that it is 3" above grade and when the pea gravel is laid it will be flush.

Have you tried a Caldera spa? The foot ridge in my Geneva keeps my 5'3" wife nice and comfy. It's her favorite seat!!

Luckily for me, I sent her down to the Hot springs dealer alone while I was at work and she found the Hot Spot Rhythm and loved it. Since she found it, it's perfect and she chose it so I got the style I wanted(no lounger) and she's happy too...

Bottom Line is WET TEST!!!

Some love loungers, some find them a PIA Even after wet testing you'll find that over time everybody seems to find their favourite spot in the tub. We all become "Sheldon" (Big Bang Theory) I certainly have my fav spot and so does my Wife, and it's not the lounger which she was so adimate about including when we were Tub Shopping.

We wet tested a Rhythm and loved it so we put our money down and are impatiently waiting for her father(a certified electrician) to come to town and do our wiring. It sucks waiting but it saves a lot of green.