Winterize Pump Compartment

bajabill

Just starting to think about winter, and was wondering if people do something extra to protect the equipment compartment of their tubs. I do not have a 24hr circ pump, 2 main jet pumps, one connected to the heater (Jacuzzi 235).

It is fully foamed except the equipment bay, and that has me concerned. How do you keep a small. portion of an idle pump, for instance, from freezing before there is a need for the heater to turn on due to the insulation around the main body of water. Especially since the equipment bay is not insulated so the pumps do not over heat in the hot weather.

Not sure how to respond to this question, but here goes

I have a 24 hr circulation pump so that's not an issue, But with a circ pump the main pumps are also idle , except fo a "Purge" cycle but that is no different than a "Filter" cycle on a non recirc system.

As long as the tub has hydro and the heater working, the water temperature in the pump housings should stay above freezing. Without a recirc pump you need to run a periodic "Filter Cycle" with the main pump. This will guarantee the water will not freeze inside the pump or plumbing

I guess I believe the designs work or else the plumbing would be freezing up frequently.

But, is it not risky to have plumbing and expensive equipment within the uninsulated comparment? What is hoped for is that the water within this area will not freeze in 10 hours between filtration cycles. I wonder at what minimum temp this is true.

Do any of the circulation pumps move water thru the main jet pumps and heater plumbing?