Solar Assist

I'm installing a used tub at my house soon. The house had a solar water heater system in it installed in 1979. The tank rusted out and I was told that it was impossible to restore the system. Mainly because that system used coolant fluid and a heat exchanger. It has tubing that is vertical and doesn't drain, so can't be used for water. (Central Florida does freeze on occasion). I intend to remove the panels from the roof, mount them rotated so hopefully the water will drain out, and use for a solar assist on my hot tub. The tub is roughly 7' x 7' and I guess about 500 gallons. I still have the original electronics and circulation pump from the old system and hope to use the panels to keep my spa hot.

Has anyone done anything like this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked with many DIY folks who have tried. Never got one to really do what they wanted. The cost of electricity to move the water usually cancels any gain, and the panels MUST be glazed to run hot enough to even bother. Further, the control systems will not always keep your tub at a steady temperature, because when the tub reaches temp it should shut off the pump to the roof. During warm weather the panels can get so hot that if the pump cycles back on even for a few minutes, the ultra-hot water coming down off the roof will push the spa temp far too high.

B)