Stupid...stupid...stupid...

BinaryBob

After testing the water and adding 2 tsp dichlor, I went to pour the remaining test water back in the tub. Grabbed the dichlor by mistake. Dumped half a container in. Embarrasing mistake. I'm at about 30ppm. Any tips other than draining and refilling?

Note to self: Don't ever use an old dichlor bottle to gather your test water.

I am not sure with Dichlor, but with Bromine Hydrogen Peroxide neutralizes it. Uses the same amount as Chlorine if used as a shock treatment. Example is for every ounce of Chlorine, a ounce of Hydrogen Peroxide equals it out. I have done this and it works almost immediately. Again, not sure about your system. Good luck.

The same volume of 3% hydrogen peroxide will neutralize 6% bleach. Note that this is not the same as weight-for-weight with Dichlor if using 3% hydrogen peroxide. 1 ounce of Dichlor (about 2 tablespoons or 6 teaspoons which is around 12 ppm FC in 350 gallons) would take about 8-9 fluid ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide to neutralize it. With 27% hydrogen peroxide, this is closer to weight-for-weight (or volume-for-volume) where 1 ounce of Dichlor is neutralized by around 1 fluid ounce of 27% hydrogen peroxide.

Thank you. I ran to drug store and bought 32 oz. bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Best guess is that I'm well over 50 ppm, but don't want to waste the amount of reagent required to be exact. I put in one 32 oz. bottle of hyd. peroxide. According to your calculations this should neutralize about 50 ppm in 350 gallons? How long should I wait to re-test?

I'm at 10ppm this AM. Now it's managable, but the PH is down to 6. I hope you've heard of dumber issues than this one. LOL. This is THE place. Thanks for the help guys! Happy Holidays!

In case you don';t have this link, here it is. It is a absolute must for Hot Tub owners IMO. It will tell you exactly what to do concerning PH and all else. Merry Christmas to you as well.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/