Which a better pool gunite or fiberglass?

Guest Guest_Tony_*

Guest Guest_Tony_*

Hi All, I am sure this question has been posted here before, but I am not finding the answer. Which pool is better to have in Phoenix, AZ. I understand about cost and stuff like that, I am concerned about it lasting a long time with least problems. Do fiberglass pools crack??? I have owned gunite pools for the last 10 years, was thinking of doing something different. I know alot about gunite pools and the pluses and minuses of owning them. Can fiberglass pools have an infloor cleaning system??? What about saltwater fiberglass pools do they exsist???? Is it recommended to do saltwater in a fiberglass pool. What about decking and rocks, waterfalls, can fiberglass pools have options like these added around them??? What about a slide or diving board???

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Tony

Hi All, I am sure this question has been posted here before, but I am not finding the answer. Which pool is better to have in Phoenix, AZ. I understand about cost and stuff like that, I am concerned about it lasting a long time with least problems. Do fiberglass pools crack??? I have owned gunite pools for the last 10 years, was thinking of doing something different. I know alot about gunite pools and the pluses and minuses of owning them. Can fiberglass pools have an infloor cleaning system??? What about saltwater fiberglass pools do they exsist???? Is it recommended to do saltwater in a fiberglass pool. What about decking and rocks, waterfalls, can fiberglass pools have options like these added around them??? What about a slide or diving board???

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Tony

Tony- The short answer is fiberglass by a long shot. Fiberglass pools do not crack unless they are emptied improperly. There is no reason to empty a fiberglass pool for at least the first 20 years, and only then, if you purchased a cheap pool. The better fiberglass pools need not be emptied for at least 30 years, and then only for a cosmetic face lift.

Salt water is the best choice for all pools, but it is recommend especially for fiberglass pools. All the options available for gunite pools are also available for fiberglass pools, with the exception of in-floor cleaning systems. This could be a new option for fiberglass pools, but I work only with older pools, so I have not yet seen that option in fiberglass pools. -Bill

I live in east Mesa, AZ...we are in the process of putting in a fiberglass (it gets put in tomorrow!!!). After all the research we did...the bottom line was - if there is a model of fiberglass you like...go fiberglass. If you dont like any of the models...go plaster. The only thing you cannot do with fiberglass is th ein-floor cleaning system.

Mike from AZpools.net is the man for all fiberglass pool jobs in the valley. There have been a few other competitors that pop up every now and then...but he is the one that has stayed. He's pretty good with email...answered tons of my questions. Also gave me some customers to call...they loved his work. So far, we do too. Tell him John Ferrara set ya :)http://azpools.net/

• 3 months later...

Viking Fiberglass Pools have been using in-floor cleaning systems on their pools for several years now. Check out this link

www.vikingpools.net/features.htm

Click on "vantage system"

I feel it's a moot point anyway because the infloor cleaning systems just don't work that well. A properly functioning polaris 280 or 380 will out perform it for a lot less money.

For you Glass guys, when it does come time to refinish a glass pool, how do you do it and what is the cost? My company only builds gunite pools. I always wondered how you refinish a glass pool.

• 4 months later...