sand bottom

Guest Dan Carlson

Guest Dan Carlson

I just bought a house with an inground pool. The liner has to be replaced. I went to the local pool place and they say that my pool will have to have the bottom grouted. The pool was installed in 1982, I think that this is the original liner, if not it is old. I don't feel that grouting will prolong the life of the liner.

Am I being foolish in not grouting the bottom? Does grouting make the pool any better? Will the liner last longer? What is the general opinion on grouting?

As long as the bottom is in good condition and doesn't colapse, sand is fine. The advantage of a grout bottom is that it is smoother, the pool will be lees likely to get holes because the bottom is firmer and there is less likelihood of roots or stones coming up through the bottom.

Pat Fitzgerald

Sunbuiltpools.com

agree with pat, sand is fine, does show foot prints (nothing you can do). If it rains hard while the liner is out- that's a problem- but it can be fixed. Do not need vermiculite (Grout), but it does make for a better bottom.

Sand works, but I prefer cement/vermiculite for several reasons, but primarily because it doesn't settle as much and there is less bottom corrosion caused by ground water. When it's time to replace the liner, there is a greater chance that the new liner, if measured properly by a pro, will fit and stretch much better.

But the most important consideration when buying a replacement liner is the thickness of the new liner. The original liner always lasts 12 to 15 years for just two reasons: 1. the hole was dug to fit the liner size and style, exactly, and 2. the original liner was most likely 28mil, although the range for a new liner is 26mil to 30mil.

No matter what any installer or sales person tells you, demand a 26mil or 28mil replacement liner. They want to sell you a 20mil liner for two reasons: 1. One person can install it, and 2. you will need another liner within 4 to 7 years. By the way, the heavier liner will only cost you about $300. more and every company or installer has access to the heavier liners.

My advice: If you plan on living in this house for at least 10 years, have the cement/vermiculite bottome installed and, of course, buy the heavier liner. Good luck. -Bill