Watermaid Mark Iv Chlorinator - Timer Doesn't Switch Chlorinator Off?

preludecrous

Hi all,

New user to the forum and I have searched for an answer with no luck.

I have a Watermaid Mark IV Chlorinator and only now realised I might have a problem. When the pump is running on timer mode, the pump will be turned on depending on when I set it. However, there is the other switch that turns the chlorinator on and off which doesn't seem to link to the timer. ie. Pump runs on timer, timer finishes and turns pump off but chlorinator remains on. With the chlorinator remaining on, all the gas starts building at the top of the cell but without water flowing through the cell, I am worried about what damage this is doing to the cell with it being on 24 hours a day but the pump is only running 6 hours a day.

Can anyone help? The chlorinator hasn't been modified so this would be the case from day 1 when it was installed.

Thanks,

Shaun.

When did you have this installed, or was it installed when you purchased the property?

This is one of the problems with the less expensive SWGs. They reduce cost by omitting valuable safety features. Most reputable brands require the use of a flow switch, which turns the unit off when no water flow is present. The flow switch is best because it will also turn the chlorinator off if the pump is running, but not primed. At the bare minimum, they should require it be installed parallel to the pump. When the pump turns off, the chlorinator MUST turn off also, or you risk damage or bursting of the cell due to the buildup of chlorine gas - extremely hazardous.

You need to have the wiring changed so that the MarkIV turns off when the pump turns off. I'd also see if they offer an optional flow switch & install one if available.

Good luck!

Interesting...reading on Watermaid's website. They practically claim that (their) saltwater will reduce drownings by 50%, based on some Sydney safety survey which is probably related to oceanwater, not residential pool water. They also claim "you won't get sore, stinging, red eyes" - usually a pH issue anyway. And also that "swimmers won't suffer from skin irritations" - a very broad and suspicious claim. Apparently advertising rules are pretty lax in Australia.