Chemical Recommendations For Arctic Fox Onzen Tub

jwo

Hey guys,

I did a few searches in the forum, but the results were a little overwhelming. Feel free to direct me to a sticky post if I missed it....

I have a 2nd hand Arctic Fox that I got a few months back. I am still getting the hang of maintaining it. I have been working with the dealer that it was originally purchased from, but would appreciate some advice from the experienced users here.

What brand chemicals should I be purchasing for this system (Arctic Fox/Onzen)? The local dealer has their own branded chemicals, and, well, you know what that means. I picked up some "Spa-Kem PH Minus" from Lowe's in a pinch the other day.

Are there brands that are recommended for my system, are there brands to avoid?

I am finding that I am going through quite a bit of PH Down chemicals, as well as Alkalinity increaser. The chlorine also seems unusually high, CP is set to "1" and use is infrequent as of late. I was considering purchasing something to lower the chlorine.

I may have left some important details out, please let me know if I have.

Thanks in advance,

Here are some good posts to help you understand some of the basics.

Nitro's approach to Water Maintenance

Dichlor/bleach Method In A Nutshell

Chlorine Demand

Decontamination procedure.

pool calculator

Once you get your water balanced, you should not need many chemicals at all. The Onzen should be used the supply the base chlorine demand. You should use dichlor or regular, unscented bleach to make up the rest of the demand based on usage.

I recommend that you use dichlor for the variable chlorine demand until you achieve 20 to 30 ppm of cyanuric acid. Adding 50 ppm of borates from boric acid will help buffer the pH.

I am finding that I am going through quite a bit of PH Down chemicals, as well as Alkalinity increaser.

Forget about trying to get your TA (total alkalinity) to some predetermined level. Allow it to go wherever it needs to to achieve a stable pH. If your pH is constantly rising, then your TA is too high. If your pH is constantly falling, then your TA is too low. When your TA is just right, then your pH will remain stable. Stop adding alkalinity increaser to allow your TA to go down until your pH stops rising.

The bicarbonate is in equilibrium with carbon dioxide. As the carbon dioxide comes out of solution and off gasses, some of the bicarbonate combines with available hydrogen ions and becomes carbon dioxide.

HCO3- + H+ < > H2O + CO2

When you have too much bicarbonate, it creates more carbon dioxide than the water can hold and the carbon dioxide comes out of solution and escapes into the atmosphere. This is why an excessive level of bicarbonate causes the pH to rise.

TA increaser is regular baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that you can get at the grocery store. You can get any brand of dichlor

You can get a quart of muriatic acid from the hardware store to lower your pH. You can use 3 % hydrogen peroxide to lower your chlorine, if you want, but you should try to avoid producing too much chlorine in the first place.

I highly recommend that you get the Taylor K-2006 test kit. It is very important to get good accurate and precise information.

The K-1003 uses OTO to test for chlorine. That is not a very good kit to use. I highly recommend the K-2006.

Your previous post indicates that you were using bromine. Are you now using chlorine?

Hi there,

new to the forum, I just got my secondhand Arctic Fox installed, and the levels well balanced thanks to the advice of my local dealer and some extensive reading. I've gone the bromine route using the Onzen system.

The K-1003 uses OTO to test for chlorine. That is not a very good kit to use. I highly recommend the K-2006.

Your previous post indicates that you were using bromine. Are you now using chlorine?

Hi there,

new to the forum, I just got my secondhand Arctic Fox installed, and the levels well balanced thanks to the advice of my local dealer and some extensive reading. I've gone the bromine route using the Onzen system.

My previous post should be an indicator of just how confused I am about this whole water balancing thing. :wacko:

I THOUGHT the Onzen system was bromine, I was confused. The Onzen system is chlorine.

Hi I have a Arctic tub with the Onzen as well, did you add sodium chloride salt to the tub when you filled it? if yes then you are getting chlorine from the generator. I was in the same boat with limited use and the levels got a little high so I turn the system off for a few days and the chlorine level dropped off and then I turned it back on. Arctic had some issues with the electrodes awhile back but have upgraded them and moved them closer to the tub water and its been working great, the system is fool proof now.

Pete

Hi I have a Arctic tub with the Onzen as well, did you add sodium chloride salt to the tub when you filled it? if yes then you are getting chlorine from the generator. I was in the same boat with limited use and the levels got a little high so I turn the system off for a few days and the chlorine level dropped off and then I turned it back on. Arctic had some issues with the electrodes awhile back but have upgraded them and moved them closer to the tub water and its been working great, the system is fool proof now.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I did add the Onzen salt to the tub when I filled it. The electrode was recently replaced (it was not producing sanitizer at all). So I am guessing I have the latest and greatest upgraded electrode. Maybe I'll try turning the tub off for a few days if that worked for you when trying to get the chlorine levels under control...