New Pool Finally Done...spa A Bit Disappointing

zz6601

We just got our pool finished...yeah When we got in the hot tub there was no air introduced into the jets. From my research, this is called a venturi system. We do have a 1.5hp blower attached that will add air into the system, but it is an all or nothing. I am used to hot tubs having the air in the jets, then you could add the blower when you wanted extra power. So right now I am left with a hot tub that is like a heated pool or a noisy spa. I called the builder and apparently I was supposed to get waterway jets, but the gunite was already done before they realized they left it out. He is saying now all I can get is the water jets that screw into the openings. Right now I have the same eyeball jets that the pool has in it.

My questions are...

What is the difference between waterway jets that need special plumbing vs waterway jets to fit 1.5 in pvc opening?

Is there any way to get a venturi like system added to the spa? I would like to be able to use the spa and hold a conversation.

Thanks for the help

Many spa jets are supplied with two pipes - one pipe for water, one pipe for air. I don't know which waterway jet you have, as they make more than one and some are only supplied with the one pipe. Usually, the venturi style jet has a small pipe that runs from the jet in the wall upwards thru the coping, so there's an opening to draw air into. Done properly, it will also have a threaded cover so that you can adjust the amount of air being drawn in and it prevents debris from falling down into the tube.

You may be able to achieve your goal by turning on the blower for a minute or two, then turning it back off & see how much air is being drawn into the spa by the venturi. It often takes a long time for the venturi alone to draw all the water out of the air line, which allows the air to pass thru, so using the blower to purge that air sometimes will do the trick. Then, you can turn the blower off & may have enough air being drawn into the spa to be comfortable and quiet. If no air is drawn in, then you may not be able to get what you're looking for - as things stand now.

Having said that, it is possible to replace the jets inside the gunite wall. It does require chipping out the back of the wall to access the existing jets, and replacing it with the jets you were supposed to get. The builder will not want to do this, but if he admitted that they made a mistake, you should not be shortchanged. It's not an easy process, but it can be done. If he refuses, you do have other options. Most builders don't like to deal with lawsuits, and I don't recommend them, but sometimes it's the only option to get what you already paid for. Hopefully, your builder will work with you to get what you were supposed to.

The issue is that there is no venturi system installed. That is what I think he messed up on. Is there a way to add the venturi without breaking up the hot tub? I was supposed to get waterway jets, what I got was the same jets as in my pool. PB is telling me I can order waterway jets to fits the existing holes...but there are on 2 to choose from. In reality, the jets do not bother me, what bothers me is no venturi.

The venturi tube has to be connected to the jet body in some way. The pool jets are only fittings glued onto the end of the pvc pipe as it comes thru the concrete wall, that allows you to direct the flow of water. If this is what's in your spa, I don't know of any way of modifying it to get a venturi.

Usually, the venturi exists in one form or another - otherwise, it's not really a spa jet, just a water flow fitting. The venturi is created when the water is forced thru a small orifice at high velocity. This creates a vacuum/venturi which pulls air into the flow. This velocity is what pushes the air & water out into the spa, rather than the air just bubbling up right by the wall. This may be done either inside the jet body or an external venturi that would have the tube coming up thru the coping, with the threaded adjustment cover.

As I see it, you have two options, as stated above. Live unhappily with what you have, or get him to make it right. There is no way to modify it & get what you were expecting. If he's not willing to step up and make it right, you'll have to seek other recourse. You might have another local professional come & look at what you have & get a 2nd opinion.