Hayward Super Pump Ii Leak

anathema

I am having a problem with a leak under my Hayward Super Pump II. It is absolutely hemorrhaging water (to the tune of one inch of water over 8 hours in a 13,000 gallon pool). Since the pump was nestled down in some gravel, I had cut the pump out of the piping system to inspect the bottom of the housing for cracks. I found no problems with the housing. I also inspected the housing gasket and diffuser gasket at the same time but like an idiot, I reinstalled the entire pump without pulling the diffuser out and looking in there.

With everything cleared out from under the pump now, I can feel where the water is coming out from underneath now. There is a small hole (by design) on the bottom of the pump (on the motor side of the pump halves). The water is coming out of it like a firehose. Before I pull everything out again can anyone give my an idea of what the problem is? My only guess would be the shaft seal assembly but there is no indication of leakage by the shaft.

Additionally confusing is that I still have very good filter and flow performance despite the water loss and pump problems (leading me to believe that the impeller and other parts are working fine). There are no unusual noises either. I installed a new motor for the pump about 2 years ago and have had no problems until now.

Thank you in advance!

"by design" This phrase is causing me to scratch my head.

I don't agree that a shaft seal will resolve your problem... If it would then you would have water running out of the bottom of the motor. It is plausible however that your water is running down from your pump shaft through the bottom of the motor then to this "hole". I'm far more inclined to believe that your housing gasket needs to be replaced. Fortunately this is one of the easiest pumps to make repairs on!!! You can buy what's called a "go-kit" and it will include every gasket and seal that you will need to "rebuild" your pump with exception I believe of your plug o-rings. You mentioned that you have replaced your motor once before, so I won't waste time telling you with how to remove your old pump seal, and install your new one. But I will offer this piece of free advice... It is often times far easier to "unwire" your pump at the timer/box than to tinker in the back of the motor standing on your head. No need either to cut the front part of your pump free from the plumbing!

We're here to help, let us know what you need!