Is My Ozonator Is Working

path

I recently purchased a used marquis 2 person hot tub.

I wondering if the ozonator is working.

From the manual - I know where the ozonator is located.

When the tub jets are on - the ozonator is generating bubbles.

But the manual states :

"check to see if the bulb is lighted.

The end cap of the ozonator should glow if functioning properly.

If not, the bulb has burned out.

Contact your dealer for service"

What is the importance of the light?

Does this mean it is not working?

There are two types of ozonator, UV and Corona Discharge. You probably have the UV, which uses a UV bulb. If the light is out, then you need to change the bulb.

The bubbles will be produced either way because the air is drawn in by a venturi. When the air bubbles contain ozone, you should smell a faint fresh smell, like after a thunderstorm.

Is replacing the UV bulb a big operation?

Is there a DIY thread or site - for this operation- or do I need to call in a professional?

I did a quick search on 'UV bulb replacement' - and I saw one thread - with one response and it said :

-- and dont try to replace the bulb in a uv ozone generator. I reccomend you buy a standard cd ozone they are alot better quality.

What is a "standard cd ozone"?

And do you agree with this statement?

thanks

Hi, Jen here from DEL Ozone. Agreeing with Spa Guru, sounds like you have a UV style ozone generator. Two common misconceptions are 1)the light's on, so there must be ozone; 2) I see bubbles, therefore the ozone is working.

UV bulbs produce ozone typically for 3 years or so. Problem: UV dies out, but the bulb can light up for a few more years so, you THINK you have ozone sanitizing your spa, but you don't.

Bubbles are tricky - you NEED bubbles, but you also need to make sure your ozone generator is creating ozone AND it's getting into the water (ie, the check valve and injector are in good shape, and connected). The surface of your spa should smell sweet and lacking of chemical smell.

UV bulbs CAN be replaced in SOME units, so see if you have a model number. In most cases, unfortunately, the bulb can't be replaced (note: bulbs contain Mercury vapor and should be treated carefully and disposed of properly).

It's best to replace the old UV technology with current technolory. UV units tend to use more electricity, more prone to failure with water backup, are tricky to tell when they are producing ozone vs. when they aren't, and (as you now know), and they have Mercury gas inside.

Upgrade to the MCD-50 for best results. The MCD-50 is CD electrode technology which lasts about 3-5 years, they have an indicator light so you KNOW when it's time to replace it, they have Renewal Kits so you don't have to toss the whole unit, you can just replace the necessary components. DEL discontinued all UV products last year, so IF the unit you do have is a DEL, the MCD-50 is the updated model.

Happy Hot Tubbing,

Jennifer Engelmeier

DEL Ozone

www.delozonespa.com