Jacuzzi J-370 Pump 1 Very Loud

mando

Hello – Searched but could not find something specific to my issue. We have a Jacuzzi J-370 portable spa that is about 8 years old. Never had one problem with it but about 2 weeks ago we started noticing the pump 1 motor running louder. The noise has steadily increased to the point we cannot run it because it is so loud and obnoxious. Since it was shut off because of the noise, we took the opportunity to clean it, replace the filters, and change the water. Upon restart the pump 1 would run at a normal noise level but only for about a minute and then click off. The pump repeatedly tried to restart with the same result. So we again turned it off and then back on. Then the pump 1 began running no problem but again VERY loudly. The spa other than the noise works fine. Any thoughts on what could be going on with pump 1? I realize this is an older spa and to date we have never had to do anything but normal filter and water maintenance on it. Thanks for any feedback!

Classic example of a pump seal leak killing the front bering in the pump, pump seals usually die from chlorine/bromine exposure over time.

If you keep a closer watch on the pump seals dripping, it is a lot cheaper to fix before the bering is toast.

How hard is it to replace the pump in this model does anyone know? We are fairly handy but is this something an expert should only do?

no these are fairly easy to do drain spa and mark down on a piece of paper ware the wires go and watch out for the freeze protect line i cut them off at the pump take out the fitting then remove pump when putting it back together use some oring lube on the tube befor putting back on to the fitting after ti has been re-installed on the pump and the pump installed good luck

How hard is it to replace the pump in this model does anyone know? We are fairly handy but is this something an expert should only do?

no these are fairly easy to do drain spa and mark down on a piece of paper ware the wires go and watch out for the freeze protect line i cut them off at the pump take out the fitting then remove pump when putting it back together use some oring lube on the tube befor putting back on to the fitting after ti has been re-installed on the pump and the pump installed good luck

Thank you so much! I noticed there are all sorts of brands of pumps. Should we stick with the Jacuzzi J Series brand pump or would there be another brand that we could also use? Thanks again!

Thank you so much! I noticed there are all sorts of brands of pumps. Should we stick with the Jacuzzi J Series brand pump or would there be another brand that we could also use? Thanks again!

to save your self alot of grief stay with JACUZZI parts so that things will go back together with little or no effort

Hello again - Any recommends on good sources for a pump for the J370 Spa? We purchased it in 2002. We opened up the spa this weekend and the pump is a Century Serial BX6-24, A.O. Smith Part 7-193227-01, Continuous 2.5hp, amps 11, HZ 60, Volts 230, RPM 3450/1725. Obviously I wrote down any number I could find on the thing :) Any advice on a model that is comparable. Given the age I cannot find this one on the internet thus far. Thanks again M!

Hello again - Any recommends on good sources for a pump for the J370 Spa? We purchased it in 2002. We opened up the spa this weekend and the pump is a Century Serial BX6-24, A.O. Smith Part 7-193227-01, Continuous 2.5hp, amps 11, HZ 60, Volts 230, RPM 3450/1725. Obviously I wrote down any number I could find on the thing :) Any advice on a model that is comparable. Given the age I cannot find this one on the internet thus far. Thanks again M!

as long as the motor fits and the volts and amps match the only thing that might give you a rash is the wet end part those can be specific to a spa manufacture

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case anyone else has our problem I wanted to report back on our results. Thanks to this forum we attempted and were successful in replacing the pump ourselves. It was indeed the pump 1 that was out. I researched and ordered a new one online. The installation all in all was quite simple. The worst part honestly was getting the old pump out because it was shoved back in behind all sorts of stuff. Follow the wiring instructions on the new pump. This will not necessarily match the wiring of your old pump as we found out. Definitely use the o ring grease mentioned above. We had it but in hooking up the pipes forgot to use it. Everything leaked. Once we applied the grease all was good. As reported with many Jacuzzi’s we had issues getting the spa to re-boot without showing the FLO error message. It took about 4 times and a couple days of performing all the tricks to clear the air before it finally worked. It does this when we switch the water too so we expected it. It just took longer and more work this time around to clear it than usual.

This is definitely something that is not hard to do as a DIY project. Good luck!