Thermistor Question

teafreak35

A quick question. I have a 1996 hotsprings Jetsetter spa with a 1500 series heater. I recently refilled it and may have plugged it in too soon. I heard air bubbles traveling through the circ pump and immediately turned it off. Now I'm getting really low readings from my thermistors. Could an air pocket that's trapped inside the heater cause my thermistors to give false readings and, if so, how do I get rid of the air pockets? I really need help here, please. Thanks.

Is the thermistor you are refering to the water temperature sensor? If so, that should be plumbed before the heater and not in the heater itself.

Also, running the pump to purge air in the plumbing is fine, you just want to make sure that the doesn't continue which would indicate an air leak somewhere.

Is the thermistor you are refering to the water temperature sensor? If so, that should be plumbed before the heater and not in the heater itself.

Also, running the pump to purge air in the plumbing is fine, you just want to make sure that the doesn't continue which would indicate an air leak somewhere.

Thanks, Mark. In the 1500 series no fault heater, the heater housing has an inflow thermistor (goes to the thermistat) and an outflow thermistor (goes to the high limit board). I tried purging air...even took them out to make sure there wasn't a pocket. After testing them some more today...and downloading a thermistor "resistance vs. temperature" chart for my model, I'm pretty sure the inflow one is way bad. It's giving me a 5 ohm reading with a water temp of 82 degrees. It shouldn't be reading 5 ohms until the water temp gets around 102 degrees. I even took it out and put it in a glass of ice water. Cross referencing the chart, it was reading the ICE water to be 70 degrees. At this point, I'm thinking that the inflow thermistor is sending a false reading to the thermistat and not allowing it to cycle the heater on. I've ordered a new inflow and outflow thermistor and plan to try that. I'll post an update to let you know how it goes.