Insta-Link Iphone App From Lamotte

DaveR

Has anyone had any experience with the Insta-Link system?

Is this a just a gimmick or a usful basic tool?

My wife works for a spa/pool service company during the summer and can nail the chemistry down without thinking twice.

So I really don't need one BUT I'm a total geek and like gadgets, I was looking for a electronic tester when I came across the LaMotte Insta-Link.

It's an iPhone app ($6.99) that takes a picture of the test strip and gives you the chemistry adjustments based on the size of your spa and chemicals you use (you enter these in a profile). It keeps limited history. You can sign up for the advanced version (annual fee) which links the iPhone into a website that has more features such as more tests, support for the most popular test strips, unlimited history and more online help.

Dave

ps what I was originally looking for was a electronic tester that I could link into my home automation system, so I could keep a history of tests/water quality or better yet test my spa remotely.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience with the Insta-Link system?

Is this a just a gimmick or a usful basic tool?

My wife works for a spa/pool service company during the summer and can nail the chemistry down without thinking twice.

So I really don't need one BUT I'm a total geek and like gadgets, I was looking for a electronic tester when I came across the LaMotte Insta-Link.

It's an iPhone app ($6.99) that takes a picture of the test strip and gives you the chemistry adjustments based on the size of your spa and chemicals you use (you enter these in a profile). It keeps limited history. You can sign up for the advanced version (annual fee) which links the iPhone into a website that has more features such as more tests, support for the most popular test strips, unlimited history and more online help.

Dave

ps what I was originally looking for was a electronic tester that I could link into my home automation system, so I could keep a history of tests/water quality or better yet test my spa remotely.

I would be interested in how they assure consistency across the cameras in the iPhone and the lighting conditions. I guess it works kind of like the AquaChek Test Strip Reader?

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in how they assure consistency across the cameras in the iPhone and the lighting conditions. I guess it works kind of like the AquaChek Test Strip Reader?

The directions say you need to take the pic of the strip on a white sheet of paper or comparable background. Reading the background color would help adjust for lighting. The consistency across cameras I have no idea what their variation is but the color accuracy on mine is very good compared to my Canon 7D.

I had to order the strips I wanted and as soon as I get them we will be running several tests against Kaye's results with her professional test kit.

Dave