Nexa Spa Salt Water Chlorinator

NOT2L8

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with the Nexa Spa Salt Water Generator?

What do you want to know? I have 2 spa's using them.

MikeM1 -

Like the original poster, I am also interested in aftermarket salt water generators. Generally, you don't see much posted in this forum on this topic ... I've been looking.

Since you have two Nexa units, I assume you like them? Here are my questions:

1. What models do you have? Are your units ones that you just drop into the tub or do they require a special plumbing/electrical installation? (I'm interested in the "just drop it in" kind.)

2. Do they work, i.e., do chlorine levels remain relatively constant?

3. How much trouble are they? Do they require constant adjustment or other frequent maintenance? How close do they come to "set it and forget it"?

4. How long do they last? I assume that overtime the electrodes require some type of cleaning or replacement?

5. Is it small enough not to interfere with using the tub or do you need to take it out while you are in the tub?

6. Bottom line: Are you happy with it and would you recommend it to others? I have a small (275 gallon) Jacuzzi brand hot tub. My wife and I use it about 4 times a week. I'm hoping to get away from constantly adding chlorine. Also, I'd like something that when I go on vacation for a more than a few days, I don't have to worry about keeping up the sanitizer levels while no one is home to monitor it.

Thanks,

- Simon

MikeM1 -

Like the original poster, I am also interested in aftermarket salt water generators. Generally, you don't see much posted in this forum on this topic ... I've been looking.

Since you have two Nexa units, I assume you like them? Here are my questions:

1. What models do you have? Are your units ones that you just drop into the tub or do they require a special plumbing/electrical installation? (I'm interested in the "just drop it in" kind.)

I use the drop in units. I noticed after a few months the double stick tape used for the velcro tabs lets loose. No Biggy I have mine dropped in an area that no one sit's by anyway.

2. Do they work, i.e., do chlorine levels remain relatively constant?

They work great for me. I don't worry about the chlorine level more then keeping the water stable CH,TA and PH. On a fresh fill I try get CH around 150 and then work on TA then PH follows along nicely at 7.6 to 7.8

3. How much trouble are they? Do they require constant adjustment or other frequent maintenance? How close do they come to "set it and forget it"?

Really no Trouble after you get the hang of things. Once everything is stable just keep tabs on FC and TA. Once you figure out how often your in there and how many people per soak it's easy to figure out how to set the timer. I have mine set for an hour a day. Sometimes I am low and sometimes I go a little high. Add or Subtract time is easy to do on the timer.

4. How long do they last? I assume that overtime the electrodes require some type of cleaning or replacement?

Cleaning is easy. A 1 gallon bucket and some acid and water. Drop in and let soak for a few minutes. The white flakes dissolve in a short amount of time. I clean about once a month. No Replacement Parts from the looks of it. It should last forever as long and nothing gets poked inside and scratches any metal contact surfaces.

5. Is it small enough not to interfere with using the tub or do you need to take it out while you are in the tub?

It's small enough not to bother me. There is no issue with taking it out when using the tub in my mind. Just make sure that you don't forget to pop it back in. I am sure you will destroy it if it turns on when not in the water.

6. Bottom line: Are you happy with it and would you recommend it to others? I have a small (275 gallon) Jacuzzi brand hot tub. My wife and I use it about 4 times a week. I'm hoping to get away from constantly adding chlorine. Also, I'd like something that when I go on vacation for a more than a few days, I don't have to worry about keeping up the sanitizer levels while no one is home to monitor it.

I am Happy over all. Recommending it is a 50/50 to me. Once you get used to how it works then you will find it is really easy to maintain. Keeping stable water is the Key. I really can't say this enough. Only thing I have noticed is that rubber gets discolored, it fades and flakes off. The tops and bottoms of the filters seem to deteriorate over 6 months. Now is that caused by unstable water? Is it the Salt over time? Is the TA to high or low? PH? I really don't know. I haven't noticed anything else as an issue. So I think for most that won't be an issue.

Mike

I am Happy over all. Recommending it is a 50/50 to me. Once you get used to how it works then you will find it is really easy to maintain. Keeping stable water is the Key. I really can't say this enough. Only thing I have noticed is that rubber gets discolored, it fades and flakes off. The tops and bottoms of the filters seem to deteriorate over 6 months. Now is that caused by unstable water? Is it the Salt over time? Is the TA to high or low? PH? I really don't know. I haven't noticed anything else as an issue. So I think for most that won't be an issue.

Mike

Mike -

Thanks for the very useful info. There do not seem to be many people on this forum who have actual experience with these drop-in aftermarket SWGs. I appreciate the thoroughness with which you answered my questions.

One more question ... how long have you been using the Nexas unit? It seems that you have more than just a few months of experience.

- Simon

I am personally using and we have sold a couple of dozen Technichlor units. Easy plug 'n play and dealer installed. So far my water is great. So far generally good feedback from customers.

Dan -

Thanks for the info on the Technichlor units. Do you any experience to indicate that one brand is better (or cheaper) than another? Mike has the Nexa brand.

- Simon

Mike

Mike -

Thanks for the very useful info. There do not seem to be many people on this forum who have actual experience with these drop-in aftermarket SWGs. I appreciate the thoroughness with which you answered my questions.

One more question ... how long have you been using the Nexas unit? It seems that you have more than just a few months of experience.

- Simon

It's been a couple of years.