Water Balance After Fresh Fill, New Owner

avoozl

Hello,

I am a new owner of a Hot Tub, and I am trying to nail-down the water balance and sanitation.

I read an re-read, an re-read again Nitro's Approach to water maintenance, and I am beginning to understand it.

I received my Taylor K-2006 in the mail this week, and decided to test my water.

I live in Portland, Oregon, and filled my tub from my hose on city water. Here is what I have measured:

CH = 0 (the color change happens when I put my first drop of reagent, so it means that the CH is somewhere between 0 and 10, correct?)

pH = 7.0

TA = 20

CYA = 0 (No matter how much I swirl the tube, the water remains clear)

FC = 0

Do these numbers appear correct? When I put them into the circular slide rule that came with the test kit, I get a saturation index of less than -2.0, which I'm not sure what to make of.

I have ordered the recommended chemicals from Nitro's thread, but they haven't arrived yet.

Does the fact that I have an ozonator change any of my goal levels of any of the above-listed parameters?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

That sounds about right for Portland city water, it comes from the Mount Hood watershed and is very soft, ice melt glacier water. I've put it directly into high pressure boilers, on steam ships, without any treatment and with no ill effects.

You won't see free chlorine or CYA until you put it in the tub, by adding Dichlor. You can get all of your chemicals from Lowe's or Home Depot, why did you order them, and wait?

Dave

You can get all of your chemicals from Lowe's or Home Depot, why did you order them, and wait?

Dave

I guess because I didn't know any better. Last time I went into a spa supply store, the salesman made me very uncomfortable, so I knew I didn't want to go back there. I found some reasonable prices online (with free shipping too), so I decided to go that route. I will check out Home Depot for my future needs.