2010 Arctic Cub "designer" Spa (Not Sure If That's Ultra)

Sydney

Hi,

Just starting to look and have looked at some new tubs (Sundance, Hot Springs and Marquis), and although we'd love to get a Sundance or other new tub, our budget just isn't there right now (just bought a brand new house and our priority is there).

Have seen quite a few tubs on Craigs List and I know alot of the questions to ask, and at the end of the day alot of the owners just don't "know enough" to answer them (which usually tells me they don't want to).

Today came across a new 2010 Artic Cub "Designer" spa. She/her soon to be ex have owned for 3 months and have all the original paperwork and manual, and purchased from a dealer about 1-1/2 hours from us. Obviously we would not get the warranty, even though it's "new," but I'm wondering about what these go for new. She's asking $3500. Not sure but suspect we'd need to put in 220v (anyone??) and also have it professionally moved ($500 I'd guess).

By the time I got home tonight the dealer where she purchased from was closed, so I couldn't call until tomorrow.

There's only one pump on this thing (mostly everything we've looked at or read about have 2--is that problematic??). Has lights, waterfall, ozone filtration system.

I'm assuming she would have cover/lifter/stairs, I have to ask about that ... she did say she would include chemicals.

Anyone care to comment? I've read mixed reviews on the Artics (good and bad). We live in Wisconsin (Midwest, cold winters, but NOT terrible winters the past 5 years or so).

There is also a HS Grandee in the same area that they're asking $4K for but I can't "verify" its age. The owner says 4 years but then they bought it from another private party so it could be 1-2 years older than that. When I asked him for the serial number last night I haven't heard back from him yet (I guess I can tell the age from that).

Finally there is an '08 Tiger River Bengal on Craigs List for $3K.

Of the 3, I think I could only wet test the Arctic and the Hot Spring Grandee. Appears as if the Tiger River is empty on-line so unless they'd care to fill it back up, that one's out. Both the Arctic and HS owners have said yes to a wet test.

Anyways, any opinions are most welcome!

Thanks for the response!

Since yesterday, I got a response back on another tub on Craigs List that I still have a lot of questions to get answers back from the owner on (they already told us we could wet test it).

Caldera Hawaiian, Paradise series. '08 model, asking $4200 ... has been on Craigs List since 5/26.

Just from the little bit of research I've done so far, the Caldera seems like a better tub than Artic (although this one is $700 more and not new like the Arctic).

Could anyone comment on the Caldera Hawaiian vs. the Arctic in value, etc. Also if $4200 sounds a bit high for an '08 Caldera Hawaiian or not?

I'd hope to get it for $3,500 if we were serious after a wet test, also taking into account we need to pay to have it moved.

The one thing I always ask is if they purchased it new, from who (a dealer, and where), if they still have the receipts and manuals, and of course if we can wet test. So far the Arctic has everything and is only 3 months old, but the Caldera appears to be a superior tub based on the little bit I've read so far.

Again, any comments welcome!

Thanks for the response!

Since yesterday, I got a response back on another tub on Craigs List that I still have a lot of questions to get answers back from the owner on (they already told us we could wet test it).

Caldera Hawaiian, Paradise series. '08 model, asking $4200 ... has been on Craigs List since 5/26.

Just from the little bit of research I've done so far, the Caldera seems like a better tub than Artic (although this one is $700 more and not new like the Arctic).

Could anyone comment on the Caldera Hawaiian vs. the Arctic in value, etc. Also if $4200 sounds a bit high for an '08 Caldera Hawaiian or not?

I'd hope to get it for $3,500 if we were serious after a wet test, also taking into account we need to pay to have it moved.

The one thing I always ask is if they purchased it new, from who (a dealer, and where), if they still have the receipts and manuals, and of course if we can wet test. So far the Arctic has everything and is only 3 months old, but the Caldera appears to be a superior tub based on the little bit I've read so far.

Again, any comments welcome!

IN GENERAL and assuming typical condition for their age, I'd expect both spas should go for 3.5k to 4k. Obviously you'll want to try to negotiate so check them out and make an offer.

Thanks Spatech.

We're hoping to do a wet test on the Arctic Cub this weekend (it's the Designer version).

They spent $5269 for it on March 28, 2010 (I called their dealer). He said they got a "blow out" price/deal (meaning they got a great deal because it was a floor model). I'm trying to ascertain from the owner whether it's really a 2010 or a floor model 2009, but it probably doesn't matter.

Their dealer also does service our area, but he said we probably wouldn't have any issues with it for years (well we'll see I guess).

If we could get it for $3,000 (they're asking $3500 and going through a divorce, so I think it's doable, because they're also selling their house), then we add in the $500 for the 220v and about $500 to move it, we're sitting at $4K for everything, which we're comfortable with, particularly for a "new" tub.

I'll keep you all posted after our wet test. Thanks!!