Cloudy Pool

lannoc

Just opened the pool about a week ago. Using cartidges in my filter which I have cleaned twice in a week. Both times they are filled with slimy dirt. Pool is still cloudy. Last year the cartridges were cleaned in the winter and I don't remember cleaning them again all season.

What is going on?

Just opened the pool about a week ago. Using cartidges in my filter which I have cleaned twice in a week. Both times they are filled with slimy dirt. Pool is still cloudy. Last year the cartridges were cleaned in the winter and I don't remember cleaning them again all season.

What is going on?

What was the condition of the pool when you opened? Was it green? If it was a dirty mess then one might expect that it will take a bit of time (and frequent cleanings) to clear a half year's worth of debris and silt that found its way to the pool over the winter. But when you write of "slimy dirt" and a pool that is "still cloudy" that raises a concern that you might be dealing with algae. Please provide more information, including latest test results and what is used to chlorinate the pool:

Type of pool (in-ground, above-ground, vinyl, plaster, fiberglass)

Number of gallons

pH

Free Chlorine (FC)

Combined Chlorine (CC)

Total Chlorine (TC)

Total Alkalinity (TA)

Calcium Hardness (CH)

Cyanuric Acid (CYA)

Salt PPM (if chlorinating w/SWG)

If you have algae, the general prescription consists of applying enough chlorine to eradicate it, followed by a daily or weekly regimen of chlorine at a level indicated by the amount of CYA in the water.

What is going on?

What was the condition of the pool when you opened? Was it green? If it was a dirty mess then one might expect that it will take a bit of time (and frequent cleanings) to clear a half year's worth of debris and silt that found its way to the pool over the winter. But when you write of "slimy dirt" and a pool that is "still cloudy" that raises a concern that you might be dealing with algae. Please provide more information, including latest test results and what is used to chlorinate the pool:

Type of pool (in-ground, above-ground, vinyl, plaster, fiberglass)

Number of gallons

pH

Free Chlorine (FC)

Combined Chlorine (CC)

Total Chlorine (TC)

Total Alkalinity (TA)

Calcium Hardness (CH)

Cyanuric Acid (CYA)

Salt PPM (if chlorinating w/SWG)

If you have algae, the general prescription consists of applying enough chlorine to eradicate it, followed by a daily or weekly regimen of chlorine at a level indicated by the amount of CYA in the water.

Plaster pool with approx. 25,000 gallons. UV sanitizer plus chlorine feeder. Pool was really green when the cover first came off. All of my water tested ok with the hardness being a little high at 450ppm. Im thinking I just have to be patient and keep cleaning the filters.

you could be patient. Or super chlorinate with about 8 lbs (10 is my advice) of chlorine. Then brush the pool. Then clean the filter the next day, and enjoy the rest of your swim season. Algae however tends to raise pH "all of my water tested ok" is a stretch for us though. Because it can all be "okay" and still be poorly balanced. We want to know all of your values so we can provide with solid answers and help!